Archinect
anchor

creating details in Revit

RValu100

Having never used Revit (or other BIM programs), I would like to know how hard it is to create your own custom details inside the program. Are there other BIM programs that are easier to customize?

Jun 23, 20 10:31 am
Non Sequitur

What sort of details?  One-off custom stuff or detail families with repeat use potential?

Perhaps start by learning how to use to software then look into custom stuff.

Jun 23, 20 10:48 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's pretty easy to create detail groups and families for this, unless you are trying to import them from something else, in which case it might make more sense to just link in the original file than try to redraw or convert it. You will need to define your line types and create any profiles or other detail families you will be using regularly (e.g. wood studs, steel sections, etc.).

Revit is geared more toward creating parametric objects than doing 2D drawing work, so fine control over linework and appearance is not as good as it is in purely 2D drawing programs. But it's easily good enough to use for drawing details in Revit if you practice doing it.

Jun 23, 20 12:13 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

Are they supposed to be properly modelled 3D details, and what scale do they need to be?

Jun 23, 20 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

It has been my experience that modeling things like walls and roof sections is useful in the long run. I personally take the cut a section and then add detail items on top of the section and lock those items to the wall or ceiling faces so they adjust if I need to change the wall to accommodate some other systems. So much has been built into the software in the form of detail components and the growing availability of online and manufacturer libraries make this easier over time as you build up a collection/library of detail items. Both online and manufacturer libraries need to be tested before you import into your main project.

Jun 24, 20 9:20 am  · 
 · 
randomised

that's a smart setup I guess, good to keep in mind.

Jun 24, 20 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Peter, I do the same but I try not to lock too many variables as that may over-constrain the geometry... ditto if another user starts playing around and causes Revit to have a stroke. What I have started doing is using 3D components (independent families, not hosted wall sweeps) for critical items such as metal flashing shapes. Eventhough these are hidden inside of assembly, I've found that it's too easy to just drop and nudge a few detail lines and move on without maintaining consistency with other similar sections (typical parapet cap shape is a big one).

Jun 24, 20 9:34 am  · 
1  · 

I'm with NS on this one. While the wall sweeps and reveals have gotten much better I prefer to go with creating a face based family for such things as sills, flashing, ect as they don't freak out when a wall is moved around. Gowd help you if you're doing things in stacked walls with sweeps.

One thing That I've found for parapet caps is I only model the 'front' of the cap.  This works for our firm as we tend to use a cant damn with metal fascia detail quite a bit.  

Jun 24, 20 9:48 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: