Archinect
anchor

(Third Year Arch. Student) -- Should I take job doing full design of custom home?

Hi everyone. I am a third year architecture student in Ohio. Long story short, a young couple posted on a community forum that they were looking for an architect to do preliminary design layouts, design development, AND some form of construction documenting for a custom house. A friend of mine name-dropped me, and the couple contacted me today and was interested in having me be the “designer of record” for their home. (Side note: in Ohio, home plans and CDs do NOT need to be stamped and approved by an architect).

Obviously, as a student, I am not yet licensed. I have held a handful of internship positions — mostly doing redlining and edits on CDs. I've also done a few small and totally schematic projects for some close contacts. However, I have never done a whole project as big and as custom as this all on my own.

Here’s the kicker: I have a mentor who is an older, wiser, licensed architect that has done residential design for years and years. He passionately said he would love to work with me on this project, and would “take me under his wing” in a sense — though he told me I’ll still be taking the lead with most of the project. He has been a licensed architect for probably about 45 years at this point -- doing mostly residential and historic preservation.

I would assume that they'd eventually need MEP drawings in addition to that, and aside from a few electrical drawings here and some plumbing isometric drawings there, I really have no experience in that.

So my question is: should I go through with it? I know enough about computer programs like AutoCAD, Revit, and Rhino, but again I’ve only ever done theoretical school projects, small side job projects for contacts, and small edits for firms and whatnot. Should I go through with this? Do you think I’d actually be able to successfully do it as a student? If so, what advice would you give?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Jun 20, 20 11:27 pm
midlander

Do it!

With a willing mentor and supportive client you have everything you need to do this successfully. Exempt buildings are exempt for good reason - they're not that hard for someone who makes an effort to get right. So long as they have a competent builder lined up about the worst that can happen is you waste your time on stupid tasks and/or they end up with some awkward ugly house.

You'll learn a ton and because you aren't a licensed architect nor even a graduate yet you have nothing to lose so long as you make a good faith effort to do the work. Doing this when you don't depend on the work for income will make it a lot easier if you get in over your head and end up wasting time. Are they aware you will be working with an experienced architect?

Jun 21, 20 9:03 am  · 
 · 
midlander

Also I wouldn't strongly recommend doing this for AXP. It might keep things simpler if you don't force yourself to be an employee of your mentor on what is going to be a ine-off short term project. The experience itself will be excellent when you do look for a long-term job after graduating.

Jun 21, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Godspeed!

Jun 21, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: