Archinect
anchor

M.Arch De-densified Campus / hybrid learning

hi guys, i hope you all are doing well in these unprecedented times. Purpose of this thread is to discuss education under COVID-19. So, little background, i got accepted into M.Arch 2 year track for Fall-2020 and i am thinking of deferring for a year RISD has made announcement on returning to campus this fall with 3 pedagogies. 1. de-densified campus 2. hybrid 3. online.

i will be attending RISD as an international student and i am a bit skeptical about online education as well as de-densified campus. i guess what i am trying to say is that it will certainly affect networking connections and many other aspects as well. also, realizing political unrest in the states and unemployment rate getting higher? how will this affect my opportunities for academia, getting work experience. what do you guys have to say about this? is it worth it or should i defer for next fall? below i have attached the calendar for fall 2020.

i hope to find fresh graduates of 2020, maybe they can give me some insights on this.

Jun 17, 20 11:29 am
citizen

Great topic and questions.

Decidedly un-fresh (some might say 'stale') veteran here.  We all hope that things will settle into more conventional spatial arrangements further down the line, but it seems clear that the next several months or more will be highly unpredictable in terms of various responses to Big Events.

Add to that your reasonable misgivings about remote learning and missed opportunities, and I'd be inclined to defer for this coming year.

Jun 17, 20 12:05 pm  · 
2  · 
TED

Agree with Citizen - In addition to all the reasons you mentioned, Halsum, there is an election in November with President sworn in Jan.  While I think Providence will remain quiet, National unrest and unemployment will likely continue till Jan 2021.  

Defer is the best choice for your 2 years. Online architecture education is not appropriate particularly for Postgrad students who flourish with collaboration. You will be better placed to get a job at that time and after you finish your studies - (and a more calm country assuming the orange turd is pushed out of the White House).

Good Luck! Providence and RI and lovely cities - 

Jun 17, 20 12:24 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: