Archinect
anchor

Test: architectural sketch

juanamezarodriguez

Hello, I'm in the first term of architecture and I made a sketch .

Could you tell me your opinions about my sketch? . I would like to improve in my technique!.

Thank you!

Jun 16, 20 7:22 pm
Non Sequitur

sketch While standing in the spot you want to sketch. Don’t rely on a picture.  Besides that, pay attention to the weight of the ink and how you layer and cross strokes.  Best to focus on shadows using just black ink instead of colouring everything with blunt coloured pencils. 

Jun 16, 20 7:35 pm  · 
1  · 
midlander

this is nice, elegant and clear. i don't think you need to impress anything specifically. keep practicing!

try looking for different kinds of scenes to sketch, and try sketching at a fast speed without rulers to see what comes out. you seem to have the basic skills fully worked out - the rest is just developing a feel for what you enjoy through practice.

Jun 16, 20 7:37 pm  · 
2  · 
midlander

*improve, not impress

Jun 16, 20 7:43 pm  · 
1  · 
randomised

All I'd say is to have some (more) variation and hierarchy in those black lines, and just keep at it.

Jun 17, 20 5:44 am  · 
1  · 
threeohdoor

It's like a ligne claire-ish cartoon. Love me some Tintin. 

Good job.

Jun 17, 20 9:50 am  · 
1  · 

Overall a good job!  Keep doing it and you'll figure things out.  

As others have said use line weights to create depth - thicker closer to you, thinner farther away. 

Try using various types of lines as well - fore example with the plantings, those lines can be looser and don't have to create a perfect outline.  Allow them to overlap, have breaks, ect.  

When denoting materials keep in mind you don't have to use your black marker to show siding, masonry, ect.  Try using a colored or graphite pencil.  This will help create a more tonal effect that has more depth.  

For windows - pay attention to how we actually seem them in real life.  We see the contrast of the shadow and reflection , aka they are shades back / grey if not  illuminated.   

People - this can be a tough one.  I like to use silhouette outlines of people to add activity and scale to the drawings.  One thing I found helpful early on was to actually trace photos of people into my sketches (more for trace paper sketches).    

Jun 17, 20 9:52 am  · 
1  · 

You've got a good hand, good line quality, and an eye for detail. 

But...
If everything is rendered and lined equally, no specific thing is important. Nothing jumps out. What do you want the viewer to be paying attention to? What do you care about? 

So, as others have noted, think about line weight and how to vary it, think about levels of detail and focus, and think about how far/evenly you render things. 

Jun 17, 20 2:03 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: