Archinect
anchor

Masterplan vs. Long Range Plan

tomsmith18555

What's the hive-mind's opinion... is there a difference in the two?

A colleague has suggested the two mean the same thing and we should start quietly renaming our future efforts as "Long Range Plans" to eliminate the word "master".

I tend to agree in terms of the usage (they mean the same thing to me) and have no issue prioritizing "Long Range Plan". That said, the discussion has ruffled a few feathers in the office, though it seems to me that no one (in the office) has an issue with the name change... they just don't think "Masterplan" actually bothers anyone outside the office.

Okay -- everyone fight and tell me what you think.

Jun 16, 20 2:30 pm
Non Sequitur

Long-range plan implies there is a time variable which may or may not be needed in a master plan.  I see them as two separate items which could also be the same depending on how it's presented.

Jun 16, 20 2:41 pm  · 
2  · 
tomsmith18555

Hmm... I think that's the most important point. Appreciate your input.

Jun 16, 20 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

This is one of the most stupid things I have heard, I think your office is severely lacking in work to be discussing this PC shit. Should we remove the word "master" from the dictionary altogether?

Jun 16, 20 3:11 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I guess I'll have to cross out my professional degree and replace it with Long-Range Plan of Architecture.

Jun 16, 20 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
tomsmith18555

Yes, it would seem the only people this discussion actually bothers are architects who think it's a stupid idea.

Jun 16, 20 3:29 pm  · 
1  · 
sameolddoctor

Frankly, I think where there is a master-slave connotation, it needs to be dismantled (as Github is doing now). But where there is none, it is a total waste of mental space.

As a PoC myself, I think it would be better to focus on actionable items for our community and not challenge semantics when there is no need to.

Jun 16, 20 3:31 pm  · 
3  · 
tomsmith18555

That is really useful insight for our followup discussion. I think folks around the office are spinning wheels trying to put their fingers on something tangible we can do and this came up. Yes, things are slow.

Jun 16, 20 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Not sure if you have a say in this, but hiring and internship practices should be looked at too so as to give PoCs a seat at the table

Jun 16, 20 4:18 pm  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

The way my firm has done master plans in the past is that a Long-Range Plan is a component of the complete Master Plan. Master Plan is the total document.  Long-Range Plan is a component of the Master Plan that lays out the recommendations divided up by priority, for instance, repairs/renovations needed within the next year vs. 5 years vs. 20 years, to give an idea of funding needs.  I'm curious to hear if this is how others structure it.

Jun 16, 20 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

That's how I've structured things with master and long range plans. At my current firm we just call this phasing since the time frames are rarely longer than 5 years.

Jun 16, 20 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: