Archinect
anchor

Quid Pro Quo: Structural for Architecture

seekingguidance

I'm in the need of a licensed structural engineer particularly licensed in the state of Washington.  I seek guidance along an aspiring business relationship. 

I have a project in Washington that needs review and stamp of a licensed structural engineer. My hopes are that a participant would review the architecture drawings for a single home remodel, provide guidance, along with a stamp upon approval in exchange for a pay within the client's budget and my architecture visualization services for participant's clients. 

If interested then please email guidanceseeking7@gmail.com for further information. Thank you for your time. 

Jun 13, 20 2:50 pm
Non Sequitur

That stamp will be worth much more than what you're charging the client for "visualisation services" so... very doubtful anyone will put themselves on the line like that.

Jun 13, 20 3:37 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

So... "quid" = exercise of professional structural engineering expertise and exposure to liability, while "quo" = suitable compensation for same.

Sounds reasonable.  But you should anticipate that quo may exceed your/your client's current budget allowance.

Jun 13, 20 4:23 pm  · 
2  · 
seekingguidance

Yeah, I'm chatting with a couple of engineers at the moment and their bids have exceeded my service rate...

None the less, your insight confirms my thoughts. I appreciate the input. Thank you. 

Jun 13, 20 7:15 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
Well well. Look who ended up needing a license after all.
Jun 13, 20 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Lol ‘in the past’ ‘you would have’. Rick we all know you’re unlicensed, do not hold an accredited degree, and have never completed a built project. As others have noted, if you spent half the time you do on these forums actually working to fulfill these bare minimums of the profession you’d have been done with the whole process long ago. But perhaps it’s easier to rant and yell behind the keyboard in your moms basement.
Jun 14, 20 7:04 pm  · 
 · 
Flatfish

Your reasons for what you do in your own life are yours to make. Over the years you've posted a novel's worth of reasons why you don't have experience. Your reasons may make perfect sense for your temperament, resources, family situation, etc.. What does not make sense is devoting such a huge part of your time to dispensing advice on things with which you have no experience. There must be things in which you do have experience, and sites where your advice on those things could be more useful.

Jun 14, 20 7:57 pm  · 
2  · 
poop876

5839, he still talks about the recession which he used numerous times as an excuse for his shortcomings. Recession was 10 years ago! Now the pandemic and another recession will all blend together for him to make even more excuses. His entire life is a recession.

Jun 15, 20 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Omg midlander. Wow I just saw that. Spot the fuck on. Wow. I came here for a laugh, thank you for providing.
Jun 14, 20 7:49 pm  · 
4  · 
archinine
Referring to you as unlicensed and inexperienced isn’t libel Rick. It’s the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts. Of course you could stop inventing excuses and change both of those things at any time. But then how would we get a kick out of your rants whilst on the loo between meetings.
Jun 16, 20 10:54 am  · 
 · 

Post up examples of projects you've done then Rick.

Jun 16, 20 12:07 pm  · 
1  · 
kjdt

Rick you've furnished your own income information, indirectly, by repeatedly mentioning things like exactly which types of financial aid you qualified for in various phases of your academic struggles, the years in which you were able to qualify for income-based total deferment of your student loans, and even your concerns about being able to afford lunch at community college within recent years. You can't have it both ways: you frequently use your sub-poverty-level finances as one of your reasons for not accomplishing the things that YOU say you're going to accomplish - but at the same time you dispense copious "advice" on fees, contracts, billing, and on various project types, supposedly based on your own experience. If you were doing any of those things consistently and successfully enough to be qualified to advise on them then you wouldn't be worrying about where your next ramen noodles were coming from, and you wouldn't qualify for the aid and deferments. There's every indication that you're either defrauding the student loan system or lying about your professional experience, if not both.

Jun 16, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Unless your clients are all on payment plans with terms that do not get you paid until years after the work is performed (which again would not paint you as a very competent business person), you have not had enough projects in the decade-plus that you've been dispensing advice on here to have accumulate any significant body of work that would give you the experience needed to be qualified to give that advice. It's not that I'm questioning all your myriad reasons for not having work- it's that your constant repeating of all those reasons pretty much proves that you have very little income and very little experience. 

Look, some people in any profession are going to be the ones at the very most unsuccessful end of the spectrum - that's only logical. But those aren't the people most others would want to be taking advice from.  

Again:  you can't have this both ways.  You can't pretend that in the years that you've spent here lamenting over how you were going to afford lunch at community college, you were at the same time making any money in your "businesses".

Jun 16, 20 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Rick wrote: "That would be exposing client information. If you can determine the project location, you can determine the client. I don't want some random individuals on an internet forum bugging past clients. Take it as a sort of client-professional privilege. There are some sleezy individuals with ill intent on this forum. This is not a statement against you or your personal character, Chad. "

Bullshit Rick.  We (architects) commonly post images of projects online.  Many will post progress drawings and parts of CD's online as well with the client info removed.  Look at the  Life of an Architect blog.  

Jun 16, 20 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

"Many of my earlier projects were hand drafted because I didn't have a plotter so I did it by hand old school method. A few projects were done in CAD because of access to a plotter. I do currently have a plotter but it's not currently hooked up and it's a little dated so not sure it will work with the current computer."

Jun 16, 20 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
As others have noted, and yet again here, whilst being called out for it no less, all you post are excuses.

Heavens help anyone stuck working with you. Could you imagine handing Ricky redlines and be assailed with excuses about why none of them were picked up. Lol
Jun 16, 20 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

.Pin on Anime

Jun 16, 20 12:45 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
Lolololololololololol maybe by now OP has learned why advice from certain users here is ill advisable at best. Ugh potty break over. Onto another (real paying) client call.
Jun 16, 20 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

After reading much of this thread, the OP has moved, changed their name, and now seeks work in the hospitality field.

Jun 16, 20 4:03 pm  · 
2  · 
SneakyPete

SATIRE IS NOT LIBELOUS.

Jun 17, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

How is it that you're the only person in the US that's never heard of Larry Flynt?

Jun 17, 20 4:19 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
“ I am the ONLY person on this forum that personally knows the project I worked on and the only authoritative source on it.”

Hmm seems now it’s only the one project. Last time there were multiple. The plot thickens, or wait, thins?
Jun 17, 20 3:56 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

We've been down this road a few times before: examples: stamped measured engineer's drawings of a certain notorious theater building were published on the social media of another party involved in a project there. Rick with his sub-par googling abilities could not find those drawings, and so he accused everybody who did find them of wrong-doing for knowing what was in them. Then there was the time that a couple mods at the old ARE Forum made some remarks about the % of time he was spending there, and he threatened to report them to the FBI for hacking his internet provider. He didn't understand that the site tracked that information, so he concluded that there was a federal crime committed. It's the same thing with his business income-and lack thereof: he has inadvertently made it public knowledge, but he doesn't understand how, so he launches accusations against anybody who does know.

Jun 17, 20 4:12 pm  · 
1  · 
SpontaneousCombustion

It has nothing to do with whether your measurements are correct or somebody else's are correct. My point is that the drawings were publicly posted but you accused those of us who found them of things like hacking, and bribing public officials. It has long been your default to accuse people of crimes anytime that someone knows anything that you don't know or that you don't realize is available information. 

Here's an example that is not about you - maybe that will help you understand the point without getting all defensive: there was a thread a year or two ago in which a client came here to complain about and ask advice about their designer. There was enough info in the thread that one forum member was able to identify the firm, and from that information another forum member was able to find what seemed like more personal information about the designer. This caused yet another forum member to think that someone had hacked into that designer's account with a certain organization and was providing confidential information. As it turned out, the designer in question had posted the "confidential" information in a public location and no crime was involved at all. This is the same situation with you - except not just once but chronically. Every time somebody finds out something that you didn't want found, you default first to "that's impossible", and then to "you're a criminal."  Falsely accusing people of crimes is a crime itself.

Jun 17, 20 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

You're doing it again: assuming that because certain entities are not permitted to provide certain information, if somebody finds this information then there was a crime committed. You're disregarding the fact that you've posted a lot of this directly online yourself, including your purported exact income for certain years (usually zero), and your own scans of transcripts and grades with your name on them. You're also disregarding that the privacy protections you're citing do not apply to every entity to which you have provided these types of information. For instance FERPA applies only to educational institutions that receive federal funding, and not to third party private companies who receive this information directly from you. You need to read privacy policies more carefully on everything you fill out - you're assuming blanket protections that do not exist and this isn't serving you well - you're an open book on the internet.

Jun 17, 20 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
The peanut gallery is littttt
Jun 17, 20 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: