Archinect
anchor

I'm have a hard time with my major

naomiandino

I'm in my second year of studying architecture. I knew I wanted to study it since I was 15 but after my first year I realized I don't like it that much. I love admiring building and I love history of architecture but I hate designing houses. I don't like calculating anything either. 

My dad is a construction manager and I've worked with him before and I loved it. But I know he's not an architect or engineer so why should I? But he's not going to let me drop out. So basically I just need some motivation because I started this so now I have to finish it. 

Have any of you gone through something like this? How did you deal with it? 

Jun 13, 20 12:58 am
citizen

This is yet another good reminder that-- just like music, dance, film, cuisine, photography, theater, and other arts-- architecture can be enjoyed in many ways without ever becoming a practitioner.  Get out now, find a field you love, then join a historic preservation organization and go to lectures and exhibits.

Jun 13, 20 1:05 am  · 
3  · 
square.

i would second this and add that infact you will probably, paradoxically, love architecture more (at least in a more genuine/passionate/hobby sense) if it is not your career. this is the irony in pursuing a career in any field.. when it becomes work, it loses much of the allure you are speaking about. i have seen this happen myself; i used to love architecture, but now it's a job. my side interests and hobbies have nothing to do with it because it's generally the last thing i want to do when i punch the clock. long story short, find a means of subsistence (a job) and keep architecture as a hobby.

Jun 13, 20 11:05 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

from what you've described you have 2 reasonable possibilities to consider 

1 - focus on architecture theory and history and then a career in academia. lots of work, no chance of high pay - but with that and some familiarity with construction you could always get a job in the industry later if needed. you might be able to stay in your current college but switch degrees to a BA with this focus and quit the design studios.

2 - switch into a program focused on construction management or general business, followed by a job in the construction industry. this is a faster path with good potential to pay off. and you know what it's about and seem to like it. it will probably require transferring within your university or even to a different school.

If you've got plenty money to support you while you study and you enjoy writing, op 1 would be fun and maybe give your parents a sense of prestige that could placate their desire to direct your career. Whereas option 2 will quickly lead you to independence and open up a lot of career options. nothing in your description makes it sound like a career in architectural design is going to be viable for you. it isn't a suitable career to do just for money.

but also consider whether you're just burned out. i hated studying architecture after my second year and only stayed in to finish it. then in my 4+5th years with more balanced instructors and better developed design skills i realized i did indeed enjoy architecture, and have been generally pleased in my career since.

Jun 13, 20 6:41 am  · 
1  · 
Volunteer

Get a 'Construction and Engineering Management' degree from Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Virginia, or a similar program at another school. Go visit the campus this summer. 

Jun 13, 20 9:14 am  · 
2  · 
randomised

You don't have to listen to your dad, you're an adult. Don't do something just to please him, he'll get over it because he's your dad and he loves you...

Jun 13, 20 10:01 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: