Archinect
anchor

Combining Architecture, Real Estate, and Computer Science

aarf125

Hi all,

Currently I'm looking for master degree that combining the knowledge from architecture design, real estate/ property, and computer science.

Any suggestion on what degree should I look for?

Thanks

May 24, 20 11:41 am

Thanks for the post!

You may not find a degree that exactly purports all of these things but many schools of architecture, or just universities, for that matter, have courses in real estate and computer science. So one approach could be pursuing a degree in architecture and seek out electives in these other subjects, or even minoring in one of them.

Another thing to consider is that computer science is already very imbedded in the current architectural discourse. Coding, robotics, and fabrication is a big part of the pedagogy at many schools of architecture and so there is a good chance your interest in computer science would be well received at many schools.

Real estate development is a bit of different animal, but a good idea might be talking with some schools about your interest there. Question, do you have an undergraduate degree in architecture already? If so, you could look for something similar to the MSArch in Real Estate Development at Woodbury University. This way you get a studio based degree (which would provide opportunities to use computer science in your design process) and you get training in real estate development through the lens of architecture.

You might also enjoy Archinect's Deans List series which is a collection of interviews from Deans at schools of architecture about their pedagogical approaches.

You might also dig this article:

May 27, 20 10:57 am  · 
 · 
mdhuang94

What is your undergrad degree in? 

If its architecture, then I'd suggest doing Columbia's MSRED program. 

They just released a Proptech concentration and offer courses on Python/other coding softwares. You would also be able to take architecture electives within the GSAPP to satisfy your interests in architecture.

Jul 23, 20 10:00 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

The university I am attending in the Netherlands (TU Eindhoven) offers this opportunity. The MSc programme has 5 tracks, Architecture, Structural Design, Building Physics, Construction Management (CME) and Real Estate / Urban Planning. If you have a high GPA they allow you to do a dual or joint masters where you can combine 2 of the tracks above. The CME track has a focus on programming as the university is quite famous for its computer science / smart technology teaching. You can also extend your programme as much as you want by taking extra courses from all 5 tracks and forming your curriculum as you please. Teaching quality is good, everyone works hard and it is a small campus with good amenities. Finally, tuition fees are 2000 euros/year for EEA.

Jul 23, 20 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: