Archinect
anchor

Using firm renders in portfolio

xuwei93

Hi people of Archinect,

I'm working on my portfolio, compiling materials I have created during the past months working for a major US firm. I have worked on the construction drawings and some diagrams of a large project in which I did not create any visualization materials.

However, in my portfolio I would like to show a general image of the project to introduce it. I am doubting between two options: Option A is using the renders the company made (crediting and clarifying it properly, obviously). Option B is creating my own render/images, even if these were not part of the official process or if these were not asked of me during the project.

Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

May 22, 20 3:19 pm
Fivescore

Either of these is an acceptable way to approach it.  Option B would be better, because it would be another example of your own work.  I would only pick Option A if you feel that you don't have the skills to produce your own rendering that does as good a job explaining the project.

May 22, 20 3:40 pm  · 
1  · 
xuwei93

Thank you. I'm able to produce a good render, but I have a bit of impostor syndrome when creating one that wasn't actually part of the process, which is the reaosn why I have this doubt.

May 22, 20 8:40 pm  · 
tduds

If you think it provides the context needed to make your work look good (rather than distracting from your work by looking better than what you've done), then there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't present work as yours if it isn't actually yours, and give credit to the firm / renderer.

May 22, 20 3:42 pm  · 
1  · 
xuwei93

Some of the renders were outsourced (and beautiful) so my doubt is whether or not my future employer will be very disappointed when seeing that I wasn't the one who made the beautiful render on the project cover, in which case I'd be happier presenting a more modest one made by myself

May 22, 20 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Why redo renders of a project you had a totally different role in? Do you want to be doing renders in your next job and is it a skill you want to highlight?

May 22, 20 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
xuwei93

I'd like to be doing various tasks in my next job, just like in the current one- drawings, renders, models. I would like to highlight all the skills I've acquired, including rendering, yes.

May 22, 20 8:37 pm  · 
randomised

you shouldn't want to know how to do the renders, that's a job for interns and juniors in-house or outside experts, you need to know how to instruct the people doing the renders and be able to provide good feedback and direction for the renders. You'll hopefully be too expensive to be doing renders for where you're going to be working.

May 23, 20 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Making additional materials to help illustrate or explain a project is pretty common when a firm does a monograph or magazine publication.  What you are proposing regarding renderings seems somewhat along those lines to me and is reasonable.  As others have said above, becoming the "rendering person" in an office is something you should work to avoid if you aspire to a more well-rounded architectural work experience in your early career.

May 23, 20 1:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: