Archinect
anchor

Can you hire international architect for US project?

runemoelbak

I want to hire an architect and builder to help me construct a new residence in Houston. However, I was wondering about the feasibility of hiring an architect from another country (whose designs I like) to help me with the initial designs and then having a local architect or builder do the final construction/ permit documents.

An architect from Russia I have corresponded with has offered me two options: 1) The first option is called the "initial architectural concept." We are looking for an image of the house, a sketchy floor plan, sketches. 2) The second option is called "Architectural project". Based on the concept, we work out in detail the layouts, sections, facades, display materials in detail, and make realistic visualization. --- He then writes "with these albums you can go to the local designer and builders who will develop technical documentation that meets local construction standards."

A part of me is enticed since the aesthetic sense of this architect is exactly what I am looking for. Another part of me is worried that I will waste a lot of money on drawings and material selections that might not translate well to the local market. Looking for any insights from builders/ architects/ or connoiseurs who can tell me if there are any pitfalls of going in this direction.

May 17, 20 1:17 pm
Non Sequitur

there are reasons why local jurisdiction matters. Hire local and be upfront with the desired design.

May 17, 20 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

In general, you should be able to realize a design from a foreign source by employing an architect licensed in your state to act as the architect of record.  However, if your foreign designer's concepts are very outlandish and impractical, you may expend more time and money on the project than you may have planned on.

May 17, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

?

May 17, 20 5:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: