Archinect
anchor

Switching from Planning to Architecture

TiernanFitzLarkin

I'm 21 and I've just completed a FdSc [Foundation Degree in Science] in Planning , which allows me to proceed to Year 2 of most planning degrees in the UK.

However, with the pandemic putting a long into perspective, i'm having doubts about whether this is actually the right career path. A lot of the planning degrees have equal concentration on property development which doesn't interest me whatsoever. In my experience, I've been most interested in how good design [Buildings and Landscape] can impact our communities and it's with that knowledge that I fear i'm ignoring a lifelong dream to pursue a broader field. 

My options would be to either continue into a planning degree this September or reapply for architecture in September 2021, I would be 22 when i would start an architectural education.

I was wondering whether anyone would have any opinion or insight into my predicament.

May 15, 20 5:01 pm
TED
‘Planning’ in the U.K. is geared to local authority planners and not exciting nor creative. I would hold off a year because most likely unis will be going online for most courses at least for semester 1. You might also have a look at arup / happold website and talk a different approach all together- apprentice in both is gold and their impact on city-urban design is out of league compared to other - alt try economic degree at top uni - urban economies will be instrumental in solving global warming- crisis - THINK BIG
May 16, 20 4:28 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

just pursuit it if your interested, but the opportunities can be quite limited.  not that they are plentiful in planning either. maybe go into real estate development, then you could have the architects serve you and your interests.  

May 16, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: