Archinect
anchor

Is my invention a code violation?

bezducci

I'm working on a device that allows commercial door levers to be forearm-operated.  The device clamps onto existing door levers and has a cup you put your arm into.

My chief concern right now is that on the push side of the door, the prototype I have created runs into the jamb, when the lever is pushed all the way up. It's likely an extremely rare use case, but I want to make sure I'm not limiting access.

Do you think that this is a non-starter from a fire / ADA code or risk standpoint for bathrooms, exam room doors, and office doors.

I've created this 45 second video that highlights the problem: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kRJx32LGQuS5ThQpMFWb67P4YESIP4DG/view?usp=sharing

Any feedback you have would be extremely valuable. Thank you so, so much!

May 13, 20 1:42 pm
SpontaneousCombustion

Yes, it would constitute a code violation, because in a panic situation it could engage the jamb and prevent or slow exit.

ADA-compliant lever hardware already is supposed to be operable with the forearm, by most people.  There are also many variations already on the market of the thing you're trying to invent - we put a bunch of them in a day care center a few years ago, so that staff in the midst of handling potty-going kids could open bathrooms and closets without touching with hands - something like this one, though I remember them being orange: https://www.betterbuildinghard...  There are other types that are more vertical like yours, but more flat lever-shaped, so that they don't have that problem of cupping around the jamb that yours has.

May 13, 20 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

Thank you, Sponty. Is the code violation NFPA? Would you be able to share any relevant code language? Thank you so much!

May 13, 20 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

There are numerous relevant IBC and NFPA paragraphs. The basics are that, with limited exceptions, hardware "is required to allow free egress at all times" and "must be readily openable from the egress side without special knowledge or effort." If it has the potential to grab onto the jamb or obstruct the door from opening, clearly it doesn't allow free egress at all times, nor is it readily openable without special knowledge. For information beyond that, I'd suggest that you engage a door hardware consultant, code consultant, and/or design professional. This is what we get paid for.

May 13, 20 3:46 pm  · 
1  · 
bezducci

Thank you very much, Sponty.

May 13, 20 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Silly question:  Do people actually pull up on door handles?

May 13, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

The OP has posted similar threads all over the place, trying to get architects and engineers to figure out various technical issues of this thing, and do all the code research.  He's been pointed to many similar products, and to codes and standards.  He's expressed willingness to hire an attorney to handle patent paperwork (arguably the easiest part of this project) but doesn't seem to want to pay for design or code help - he's trying to outsource this to the peanut gallery for free.  

May 13, 20 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

No, I'm actually happy to pay for design support! I just haven't been able to find the right folks. The takes I've gotten have been tough to follow. In fact, I had thought I'd found an ADA consultant to help, but then they no-showed a paid meeting I had set up. I really appreciate all the feedback from folks here. I've also posted on Quora and Reddit, because I have actually invested a lot of time and money in working on this. I've been turning prototypes and conducting a ton of research, and I'm just trying to get smart here. If folks want to personally recommend their services for consultancy on this, I would be happy to entertain paying. I have really valued all of the feedback I've gotten through this forum. I don't want anyone to feel taken advantage of for their expertise.

May 13, 20 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

Thank you again, all. The Archinect community has been hugely helpful.

May 13, 20 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: