Archinect
anchor

Could We Build A Mega-Building That Could Cope With The Needs Of A Million People?

holly.nicholls

Hi everyone, 

I am an English student currently in sixth form, completing my A-levels. I am looking to study architecture at university and would like to link my A-levels together. To do this I am Writing an EPQ which is a research 5000 word project we can do in addition to A-levels. 

my idea so far is: Could We Build A Mega-Building That Could Cope With The Needs Of A Million People?

I am open to developing or changing my idea or title and would also appreciate if you have any ideas or sources of information which could help develop my research. 

Thank you! 

May 13, 20 10:11 am
Non Sequitur

This has been explored in several ways since the early 60s... It's a deep rabbit hole and covers some great projects.  Perhaps you can start by reading this: https://www.mvrdv.nl/shop/922/km3 book.  It explores the footprint required for services, production, employment, agriculture, power generation, etc, etc.

May 13, 20 10:18 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Look into Paolo Soleri.

May 13, 20 11:47 am  · 
2  · 
-____0

Since you're primarily writing, might be interesting to think about it in term of a building versus a city. So you can start to wrap your head around the conceptual differences between the two and explore what that means for your hypothetical mega project.

Like for instance. Buildings, even huge ones exist on a specific piece of property that's usually owned by one entity. If you want to put a building on multiple parcels, you have to buy them, get them surveyed, go through a legal process. That's one means of building a mega building.

Maybe it's in an area that's already vacant land. Maybe you're replacing an existing super-structure or you're using eminent domain. 

Cities on the other hand typically already exist and grow outward or infill within themselves in modern developed contexts. Do research on how cities were founded and then connect that method back to your mega building project. 

Other Constraints. 

Where is it? 

How is it done within that legal system/ city/ country? 

What environmental and property constraints are there?

What types of spaces / groups should be near each other? Do they rent or own? How does the building manage their intersections.

Security? 

How does your building handle fires?

What about structure? Materials?

Light / outdoor space?...etc

There's a lot you can explore with this depending on what you feel like exploring

May 13, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
CodesareFUN

SimCity did it

May 13, 20 7:48 pm  · 
1  · 

The novel The Heap by Sean Adams includes some fun speculation on how a mega tower might be built, along with the psychological challenges of living in such an enormous structure.

Good review here.

May 14, 20 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: