Archinect
anchor

How to draw an elevation for this irregular floor plan

Novosibils

I am a first year architecture student and need some advice on drawing the elevation of this design as there are only two walls that are not at an angle.

I am drawing two elevations, one south, and one north at 1:50.

I have started to project vertical lines down from each element, however have found the scale is lost after e.g. 200mm window becomes 180mm.

A quick sketch or example would be highly appreciated and would afford this lowly student a lot of help tonight. 

if I haven't made it clear enough feel free to ask a question to clarify.

May 11, 20 5:55 pm
archanonymous

You should draw the cardinal elevations as traditional projections. (N,S,E,W) but also draw the unrolled elevation of each piece of the building.

May 11, 20 6:03 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

Here's a good example:

May 11, 20 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Another: 

Related image

May 11, 20 6:05 pm  · 
1  · 

If this is for a presentation of your own work I would do a perspective or two.  

If it's a drafting assignment then what archanymous is suggesting is dead on.  

May 11, 20 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

draw a ground plane somewhere above the plan, and then pull the vertical  lines up from the plan by hand or in CAD however many feet above the ground plane you need to represent the height, trim, etc, add horizontal planes.  It’s an easy and accurate technique.  

May 11, 20 9:37 pm  · 
2  · 
citizen

You're projecting... orthographically, that is.

May 12, 20 1:32 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

spiral staircases? Gosh, I remember those being banned from studio project back when I was in school. Too easy a solution (and not legal means of egress). 

May 12, 20 5:40 am  · 
 · 

This is what I'd do, in order of priority. The unfolded elevations are cool for a presentation, though.

May 12, 20 8:35 am  · 
3  · 
Oscar_Ellis

1. Begin by drawing the outline of the house.

2. Draw a line to represent the back of the house and another to represent the front.

3. Draw a line to represent the right side of the house and another to represent the left side.

4. Draw a line to represent the top of the house and another to represent the bottom.

5. Draw lines to represent each of the four sides of this irregular house plan.

6. Add dimensions for each

There are two different types of elevations, absolute and relative.

Absolute

An absolute elevation is the height above sea level. It is expressed in meters or feet.

Relative

A relative elevation is the height above the ground's surface. It is expressed in units of measurement, such as feet or meters.

Feb 6, 22 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Since the angles of the walls are not at 90 degrees to the viewer a perspective would clarify the project to the viewer. Your 200 mm window would indeed become a 180 mm window unless you made an additional drawing as Donna suggests. A perspective would show that it projects out from the principal plane of the house which would be difficult to infer by looking at the elevation without also looking at the floor plan. 

A perspective of this house with the odd angles would be very time-consuming to make. Your foreshortening of the window measurement is correct for the elevation however,

Feb 6, 22 11:34 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

To clarify (hopefully), you do not want to label the window in the elevation either 200 inches or 180 inches. Make a small elevation of just the window at a 90 degree view of the viewer and label that as 200 inches.

Feb 6, 22 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
rcz1001

I'll see if I can find a copy of the plans for the Art center at our local community college that does a lot of the same kind of irregular floor plans. This might help provide some insight of what some architects in the past did. There are ways to do it. The ideal is each elevation plane should be orthographically viewed especially if there are doors and windows on the elevation. There would also be a number of perspective views as well. I recommend both where appropriate. There may need to be some kind of sheet the kind of gives special notes about the various elevation views... similar to notes for interior elevations on a plan, you may need to have something special like that for those special elevation views. What is important in any of this is to COMMUNICATE the design and design intent to the builders/contractors so they can do this correctly. This is as lengthy as I need to say at this time (minus the last sentence).

Feb 6, 22 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: