Archinect
anchor

Any books for improving my drawing skills?

editheo

Hi everyone! I'm a high-school student in my last year, preparing for my architecture exam and I'm really interested in books or documents, articles, anything to help me improve my drawing. I've seen this book, Drawing for Architects: Construction and Design Manual by Natascha Meuser, but it's very expensive and I can't find it online. Can you recommend me some other ones that I can acquire more easily or direct me to some website where I can find the book I mentioned? I appreciate any answer!

May 8, 20 12:20 pm
Non Sequitur

Looks like amazon used books has a few for $40usd... that's very cheap for an arch book.  A good source is anything by Francis DK Ching such as: Building Construction Illustrated

Also, what's an architecture exam?

May 8, 20 12:26 pm  · 
2  · 
editheo

Thank you for the info! And sorry about that, I meant to say architecture admission exam, for university. That's just how it is in my country and when I translated from my mother tongue to english I got it a bit wrong. Anyway, thanks again.

May 8, 20 3:34 pm  · 
 · 
robhaw

'The elements of drawing' by Ruskin, is a classic choice among architecture students. I think it involves drawing exercises, but I haven't used it myself.

May 9, 20 3:23 pm  · 
1  · 
robhaw

Don't buy any of the Construction and Design Manuals, they are not worth it. I bought one some time ago and it was just an overpriced picture book. Nothing to do with construction and very little to do with design. What kind of drawing skill are you interested in? Technical or hand drawing?

May 8, 20 1:24 pm  · 
1  · 
editheo

Thank you so much for the tip! I'm always looking to get better at both technical and hand drawing, but I'm doing fine on the technical part for now, so freehand drawing is the issue.

May 8, 20 3:36 pm  · 
 · 

I would have to disagree robhaw. I've found that Graphic Standard and Building Construction Illustrated to be a great resources for commercial work. They will give you a good starting point in your research.

May 11, 20 11:45 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

Chad, my advice above was referring exclusively to a book series titled 'Construction and Design Manuals' by DOM publishers that the OP was interested in purchasing. I am not referring to F. Ching books. https://dom-publishers.com/collections/handbuch-und-planungshilfe

May 11, 20 5:13 pm  · 
 · 

Ah! Pardon my ignorance! Clearly I have never heard of that book before. ::derp:: Thanks for clarifying things for me.

May 11, 20 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

tried any youtube tutorials?

May 8, 20 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
editheo

I coudn't really find anything very good yet, but I'm searching

May 9, 20 7:00 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Anything by Francis Ching, 

May 8, 20 8:33 pm  · 
2  · 
x-jla

A sketch book.  

May 8, 20 9:50 pm  · 
1  · 
editheo

Any recommendations?

May 9, 20 6:59 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Ideally one with pages.

Oct 10, 20 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you have a good one, your high school art teacher might be able to give you a few pointers and critique your progress. 

The Institute of Classical Architecture and Art has some videos of sketching classes they have given at different locations. The group has a lecture beforehand and then go sketch as the instructors give advice. 

classicist.org

May 9, 20 8:42 am  · 
1  · 

Architectural Graphic Standards

Graph paper (1/4")

May 9, 20 10:12 am  · 
 · 

thanks for the post editheo!

I’d recommend trying an online course of some kind. There are tons of them on sites like udemy and skillshare. I sometimes find the guided video can be helpful when learning new concepts. Also, more than anything, it will take practice and being okay with bad drawings for a while. 

I think you’ll like this article:

May 11, 20 10:34 am  · 
1  · 
editheo

thanks for the reply! It's much appreciated!

May 16, 20 4:05 am  · 
 · 
ovalle

The book, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. It was assigned in my undergrad architectural drawing class. https://www.drawright.com/bett...

I agree with x-jla. Get a sketch book and just start drawing every day with intent. If you cant get a sketch book, make your own. It can be  as simple as stapling together 15 loose leaf printer paper. 

May 11, 20 12:48 pm  · 
1  · 
editheo

Thank you for the reply! I will put together a skech book and get sketching!

May 16, 20 4:06 am  · 
 · 
Sperticus

Scott Robertson for basics on perspective drawings.

Although this video is coming from a concept artist's perspective, it rovides an excellent overview of how to use lineweight, tonal values and textures to bring form to your drawings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XYoenU-0c

May 16, 20 7:52 am  · 
1  · 
Sperticus

Also, depending on the school you're applying to, the final outcome might be focused on using digital drawings and renders. So make sure you don't get wrong expectations of what medium you will be working with.

That being said, it is still crucial to be proficient in hand drawing. It will be a blessing for you if you can quickly and intuitively sketch out atmospheric qualities of a space in perspective, section or plan. To be able to show how daylight interacts with it, and capturing the materiality of the space via textures. You will be presenting your design process on a weekly basis so this will greatly aid you in communicating your design intents.

May 16, 20 8:04 am  · 
1  · 
PandasAreSexy

It isn't specific to drawing architecture but: https://drawabox.com

May 16, 20 2:05 pm  · 
1  · 
apscoradiales

Architectural Graphics Paperback – Illustrated

by Francis D. K. Ching (Author)

on Amazon.com

Oct 10, 20 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: