Archinect
anchor

Should I do an Architecture Degree?

evelync

Hello! I am an 18 year old girl (turned 18 in March) and I do biology, chemistry and art a-level (although my a-level exams have been cancelled due to covid-19) 

I've struggled A LOT to settle on a degree because I've been constantly torn between the creative sect and the science world. Recently I've realised that I do want to be working in a creative job on big projects, and (although this is very far down the line) being somewhat of an Art Director is very exciting to me. However, I'm so reluctant to throw myself into a purely art degree because 1) I don't know if I'm really cut out for it and 2) money I guess?

Anyway, I'm here today because since yesterday I've been thinking about doing an Architecture degree (specifically at UCL) because they seem to embrace creativity and artistic contemporary design which is my only interest with architecture, and I also thought this degree might suit me since it's also science related which I love (it's like bringing my a-levels together kind of)

I'm doing a free foundation year in art & design first which will cover a short module in architecture so I'm hoping this will help me make my mind up further, however I wanted to know from people who are actual architects/architecture students if the reality of architecture is not artistic/creative. 

May 6, 20 11:21 am

Hey evelync!

Congrats on taking the next steps in your education. I think your short module in architecture will be great to get your feet wet and see how you like it. You'll see a lot of people on this forum talking about how architects aren't paid well and how the profession is stressful and a handful of other negative comments. Make sure to take comments like that with a grain of salt. Every profession has its upsides and its downsides. Architecture definitely has many upsides, and there are tons of people who love working in architecture and have devoted their lives to it.

To answer your question, yes, architecture is very artistic and creative, especially when it comes to architecture school. BUT, there is much more to it than just the design/creative component. Like you assume, there are scientific/engineering aspects to architecture, but there is also an important business aspect to it, you'll have to learn to navigate a lot of bureaucratic aspects when it comes to certain clients, dealing with contractors, plan checkers, etc. Much of that comes after school.

The traditional route in architecture tends to have a lot more than just design in the day to day work. For example, you could spend months working on construction documents (things like floor plans and other drawings that the builders will read to build a piece of architecture), that would come after a project has passed the design phase. There could also be moments where you're out in the field measuring existing buildings for a new project, you'll be getting dirty and may have to climb and crawl to get the information you need. You might have to make presentation materials like models and materials boards, and a lot of other things that's not design. It's very wide ranging, but that's what many enjoy about it.

In professional practice design is a portion of your larger role as an architect. With that said, there are people who carve out careers that are more nontraditional where you can be a bit more hands on and creative for a larger portion of your time. That could be something like set design or stage design. There are people who exclusively work on installations (which more sculptural types of work). There are even people who only work on digital environments (like video games or virtual reality). So, you could go a lot of directions with an architecture degree.

I'd encourage to try it out and keep an open mind, but don't abandon art if that's what you really love. Anything worth pursuing is tough, but don't leave what you love if the only reason is that it will be hard, because architecture is very very hard, but if you love it, it is worth pursuing. You may not be cut out for it now, but through hard work you can be. And it may be true that making money can be challenging as an artist, but there are definitely business models that you can work at and learn that can earn you a living.

Since it seems you're new to architecture, here are some articles you might want to check out:

Good luck!

May 6, 20 6:28 pm  · 
3  · 
evelync

thank you so so much this was extremely helpful!

i shall be reading these articles!! :) 

May 7, 20 5:29 am  · 
1  · 
archi_dude

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

https://archinect.com/forum/th...

here's some good reading with some good back and forth between members. Personally my experience has been, no one values what you do, you aren't paid well becuase of it. I'd say about 1% of people get to do design which mostly consists of getting as few parking stalls as possible into a site plan or as many units as possible into a floor plate while meeting codes whilst the design architect comes by and changes everything you've done and then the technical architect comes by and changes everything the design architect told you to do and then the PM tells you that you are slow. Ha ha fun times!

May 7, 20 9:02 am  · 
 · 

It is not true that 1% of people design. Where are you getting that data?

May 7, 20 9:43 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

7 years experience and multiple firms. Figure of speech for very very few people get to do anything beyond drafting.

May 7, 20 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Archi, your figures are not common. I am both the design and technical architect. Never have I had to work in a situation like you describe. Sure, new grads don't get to make the same grand design decisions they do in school, but competent grads will move to influential roles if they know their shit.

May 7, 20 10:50 am  · 
2  · 
midlander

archi-dude do you admire the work that your office designs?

May 7, 20 11:12 am  · 
 · 
square.

i'd also take any purely optimistic opinions about architecture with a grain of salt. while archi_dude's post is a bit hyperbolic, there is some truth in it. i only caution you because you are asking from the perspective of someone who loves art, and if you are pursuing architecture because of the artistic side, there is no doubt you will encounter some level of disillusionment if you end up working in a traditional office. that being said, it is nice to have an education that allows for a professional job with some stability (see the layoff thread) while you pursue other real artistic interests; just don't count on your job to fulfill those.

May 7, 20 9:52 am  · 
3  · 

Agreed. My point was mainly to counter the majority of negative comments in the forum about this kind of question. But it’s definitely not all rainbows. The point on disillusionment in a traditional office is spot on.

May 7, 20 10:15 am  · 
3  · 
midlander

i think the key is that it's potentially a fulfilling career for people who like challenging themselves and continually putting in effort at self improvement. people who feel like they're done and ready to climb the ladder right away after all the work of school totally missed the point. also, some people just aren't good designers. it's common they get through school and even do well without being called out on it because they're organized and reliable. but in work that's insufficient to get ahead.

May 7, 20 11:11 am  · 
1  · 
square.

i actually find the opposite of this to be true, that often the people who aren't great designers end up being good managers/moving up the ladder. which gets back to my point about the op coming at this from the perspective of art; it's just a warning that the profession has little to do with art.

May 7, 20 11:18 am  · 
4  · 
evelync

if that's truly the case then i dont think i'll pursue it as a degree since it's a strenuous 7 year course :((

May 7, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
midlander

square, yes actually i agree on that. the problem is only for those who go in fully intent on being a designer and get nowhere because they don't look for opportunities in other roles. school does a poor job preparing prospective architects for these other essential roles, which is a shame. for many people they can be very fulfilling ways to participate in the work of designing good architecture.

May 8, 20 12:53 am  · 
1  · 
midlander

so being a good manager takes extra initiative to learn skills you won't cover during school. it's worth it usually.

May 8, 20 12:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: