Archinect
anchor

IBC ​Section 1028.1 Exit discharge

According to IBC Section 1028.1

Exit Discharge

•  Exits shall discharge directly to the exterior of the building,  there are two exceptions that permit interior exit discharge.
  •  The combined use of the two exceptions cannot exceed 50 percent of the number and capacity of the required exits.

I'm working on 4 stories hotel with 3 exits discharge serving the 4 stories and one exit discharge serves one story the exits discharge for 4 stories are 3 stairs, one of those discharge directly to the exterior of the hotel while the others discharge inside the building, also the stair that serves one story is directly discharging outside.

My question here is about the exit stair which has been marked with yellow, can it be considered as a discharge directly to the exterior since it is too close to outside.

My other question Since we have a 4 exit stairs (one of them serving only one story) can i include that  exit stair to to the 50 percent that exits directly to exterior, so that we'll have 2 exit stairs directly discharge to exterior one of them serving only one story and 2 others discharge to the interior serving all stories.

May 4, 20 7:07 am
BulgarBlogger

Let me simplify your question because your written English is a bit hard to understand:

1) You have a four story building.

2) There are four stairs total.

3) Three stairs service the upper floors.

4) Of the three stairs serving the upper floors (3&4; the second floor is being serviced by the stair in yellow), two discharge directly to the interior, and the other discharges to the exterior. 

5) One stair only services the second floor and discharges to the interior.

6) Overall of the four stairs provided, two discharge at grade, and the other two discharge into the interior. (2 stairs/4 stairs)x100% = 50%

Your questions:

1) Since the stair in yellow (currently discharging to the interior) is so close to the street, alley, or public way, can it be re-designed to discharge to the exterior.

Answer: I don’t see why not, but see below.

2) Since there are four exits, can the stair that will be redesigning to discharge at the exterior, be counted toward to the 50%? Not sure what you are asking... are you asking if the stair can partially discharge to the exterior and partially to the interior? I’m confused.

Answer: Exception 1 under IBC 1028.1 states “Not more than 50% of the number and minimum width or required capacity...is permitted to egress through areas in the level of discharge.” SO: if you had two stairs originally discharging to the exterior and two stairs originally discharging to the interior, and now you are discharging three exits to the exterior and only one at the exterior, only 25% of exits are discharging to the interior.

May 4, 20 9:08 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

One additional issue with the middle stair exiting through the lobby: generally a stair exiting through an interior space such as a lobby MUST have a direct view of the exterior exit door and a clear pathway thereto from the stair door. Your internal exit stairway does not meet that requirement. It looks like it's exiting into a hallway which is separated from the lobby (and exterior exit door) by another door (which is swinging the wrong way).

May 6, 20 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

There are such things as exit passageways to get your stair egress door into a corridor that leads to the outside... other than that, if everything checks out on the floors above and you need 3 stairs to egress the occupancy, 2 of those have to exit to outside.  Move/add your door to an exterior wall or look up the exit passageway requirements and make sure you have one.

May 4, 20 10:59 am  · 
 · 
CodesareFUN

Exit discharge is what happens after you eat bad fish. 

May 6, 20 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: