Archinect
anchor

Question about Licensure

Continuum

New York requires that you work in the city for 3 years before you can get licensed. Meanwhile you can take your exams and fill up your AXP hours.

Whereas New Jersey requires that you fill up AXP hours before you can start taking the exams.

Let's say that I am living and working in New York and finish my AXP and exams in 2 years, but I have to relocate to New Jersey so I decide to get license there instead. Since I finished my AXP hours I am now eligible to take the exams in NJ, but I already finished taking the exams while in NY, so do I get licensed immediately?

May 1, 20 1:11 am
thatsthat

I am licensed in NYS.  You don't have to live in the state where you are getting your initial license.  If possible, just finish with the licensure process in NYS and then transfer your license to NJ. If you finished your AXP, AREs, and any other experience requirements NYS may require, they should grant your license, then you can transfer it to NJ.  If you have a license (and in some states an accredited degree is also required), it doesn't matter to the state when you started testing or how many AXP hours you had.  If you transfer to another state while trying to get your license, they will require you to follow NJ's rules instead of NY's rules.

May 1, 20 9:45 am  · 
 · 
Continuum

Hey thatsthat, just a quick question... I heard from colleagues that NYS requires minimum 3 years of experience but NCARB's resources do not state this. It does so clearly for NJ. Could you clarify?

May 2, 20 12:21 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Contact NCARB directly and ask them.

May 3, 20 12:12 am  · 
 · 
square.

continuum, i'm also licensed in nys. the state requirements are different than ncarb's. but yes, you are required to work 3 calendar years in the state on top of your ncarb requirements (there is a complicated combination of allowed credits, but basically at least 2 of those years have to be under a licensed architect). agreed though, you should call the board and reference their website

May 4, 20 9:32 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: