Archinect
anchor

ADA Concerns with Door Handle Additions?

bezducci

I am considering installing something like this free 3D printed design to allow users to be able to open doors with their forearms, but do folks think this will be an issue for access for those with disabilities, hand strength issues, etc?

Link to story behind image:  https://develop3d.com/3d-printing/materialise-make-design-for-hands-free-door-opener-free/

Apr 28, 20 9:00 am
Non Sequitur

or... just wash your hands and act like adults instead of adding dozens of germaphobe devices. 

Apr 28, 20 9:41 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: it'll take a lawsuit to know for sure.

Apr 28, 20 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
bezducci

Thank you! Yea, I don't know. I can see people being able to still push up without much of a change or being able to grasp and pull down on the plastic, but it also seems like that could still be challenging for some folks.

Apr 28, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

From my perspective this type of device COULD be ADA compliant however I'd say that the maximum reach height and distance would become shorter for this product due to the recused ergonomics.  This would also increase the clear floor areas required for operation.  

Apr 28, 20 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
proto

seems awkward to use for anyone who isn't an able bodied adult

Apr 28, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

This is a wheel, not a mousetrap.

Apr 28, 20 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: