Archinect
anchor

Why do some employers/recruiters only ask for resumes and not portfolio?

lalu

A serious question. I have come across some employers/recruiters asking for only resumes sent to them first, but not portfolios. What's the purpose of proceeding like this? I also only graduated last year so I simply am not yet familiar with how this works yet I guess. 

Apr 24, 20 2:30 pm

2 Featured Comments

All 9 Comments

BulgarBlogger

Because they don’t know how to judge it. Beyond that, recruiters may fees are greater with higher salaries where work experience matters more than a portfolio. Juniors and interns are a dime a dozen. Experienced professionals are harder to come by, and experience isn’t just shown in a portfolio of work. 

Apr 24, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

You note "only resumes sent ... first," and there's the key.  A page or two summarizing credentials and experience (and location: would this applicant need to move?) is a much quicker path to a first cut.  A short(er) list of survivors would send work samples, for more information about fewer candidates.

Apr 24, 20 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
lalu

i see. so, if allowed (like as an additional attachment in an email), would sending portfolio together be a bad idea/backfire?

Apr 24, 20 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

Follow the instructions.

• If it's stated not to send a portfolio, don't.
  • If no mention is made, go ahead at attach.  But name the file "portfolio" so a reader can easily avoid opening it unless they want to.

Remember: your application will be one of dozens or hundreds in their download folder.  A good general rule is to make things easy for the poor schmo going through them all.

Apr 24, 20 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

your portfolio doesn't really matter

Apr 25, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

We don't care about the graphics and a heavily wrought selection of projects.  We want to know what your skills and experience(s) have been.

Apr 27, 20 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
OM..

From my experience employers definitely want portfolios if they are truly actively hiring.

Recruiters on the other hand aren't architects and want resumes because they are more objective and light. That way they can more readily pair you with firms based on previous experience or typology, send your credentials their way, and see if the firm is interested in more. The subtly and often weirdness of portfolios is really specific and not useful to most people (think your parents lol).

Apr 27, 20 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

An excellent point. I've gotten calls from recruiters who don't even know what architects do.

Apr 28, 20 1:05 am  · 
 · 

You will be hired for your ability to produce good work with little direction for projects whose decisions are made by older more experienced architects. The portfolio is for the interview. It's a conversation piece. The employer wants to know you can think and produce clear work.  The resume gives them a sense of your age, work experience, availability, etc. You will not be hired to be a designer.  This takes time.  And before you can design for a client paying real money, you need to learn the nuts and bolts of the business of producing a piece of architecture.  It is a complex collaborative process with many layers and skill sets.  And keep in mind, your ability to communicate and articulate confidently and maturely will prove more valuable to an employer than any thesis project.

Apr 28, 20 1:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It never hurts to include a link to your online portfolio or website on your resume, no?

Apr 28, 20 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: