Archinect
anchor

Gridlines on complex projects.

CARLOSANCONA

I've been studying some plans from major offices. This plans always present different rules when working with grid systems. Some offices place grids on every wall, some don't.

Any resources to know rules on gridlines? What are the rules and logics behind grids systems? 

Apr 23, 20 5:30 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

atelier nobody

As you have observed, there is no "rule" that is widely followed.

My own preference is for grid lines to be used only for centerlines of structural elements, and not even those in the case of buildings with bearing walls and simple spans.

Apr 23, 20 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

One logic behind gridlines is to provide reliable orientation for plan- reading over multiple floors.  It also allows for more trustworthy dimensioning.

Assignment of gridlines to elements (usually structural) that don't change plan location from one floor to another can help achieve this orientation despite other elements (room layouts, etc) differing.  Atelier nobody rightly points out column centerlines as the most common feature used this way.  (Column size may change, but centerline won't.)  Other things, such as structural walls (though usually their faces, not centerlines) can be used, too   --again, if that feature remains consistent in plan location over multiple floors.

Apr 23, 20 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

thought question: if your columns slope, should the gridlines follow?

i've done both, depending on whether it's a freestanding tower or a smaller portion of a larger complex. like with most things the right answer is whatever will be most clear to the other parties trying to understand the project for bidding and construction.

Apr 23, 20 7:33 pm  · 
 · 

In past projects with sloping columns, if it was near gridline C, we might call it gridline C.1 on the floor above, then C.2 above that, C.3 above that, etc, etc. So it was relative to C (it was always between project gridline C and D). A project should only ever have (1) "Gridline C." Otherwise, something will surely go wrong on site.

Apr 24, 20 11:24 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

just give them a cad file and have them put it in their total station

Apr 23, 20 7:35 pm  · 
 · 

center lines of vertical structural elements

question:

left to right grid lines - letters?

top to bottom grid lines - numbers?

Apr 23, 20 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
ivanmillya

Other way around. Numbers in the y direction, letters in the x direction.

Apr 24, 20 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

The structural consultant sets the grid lines to center of structural columns / walls withing the building and outside of foundation / grade beams for the exterior of the building

Apr 24, 20 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I tell my structural P.eng where the girds go and they will offset as required. You can't always do c/l if the same grid serves both a foundation wall and hss, for example.

Apr 24, 20 10:41 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

yeah don't ever let the consultants set grid lines.

Apr 24, 20 10:59 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

on complex projects its really helpful to do alignment section diagrams - i usually pair these with my slab edge plans - so you can see where grid is, what slab edge offset from grid is, and offsets to face of framing, and of course face of glass where there is glazing.

Apr 24, 20 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^my general rule is "don't ever let the consultants set X" where X is literally anything.

Apr 24, 20 11:01 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

well said.

Apr 24, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Well we are a multi disciplinary office, we all work together.

Apr 24, 20 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^found the problem

Apr 24, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 
midlander

^us too. architects set the grids, but we let the engineers name them.

Apr 24, 20 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Ya ..."to be fair".... I am usually the one drafting the arch & struc.

Apr 24, 20 11:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Don't confuse anarchy for collaboration. Your job as the architect is to guide the process and coordinate the design team. Create the framework for everyone to work within. That means setting the grids.

Apr 24, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

If you're gonna name them, name them.

Alfred, Benita, Carl, Daphne, Esteban, Fiona...

This would make for great calls.  "Start the framing 18 inches north of Quincy, but make sure to stay clear of ducts coming up next to Rapunzel."

Apr 24, 20 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

great, now I need to change our office families to allow 9 character grid names. Thanks alot.

Apr 24, 20 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

"I got 16 and 5 from Marcos to face of framing."

Apr 24, 20 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

laughed my ass off. What about countries?

Apr 24, 20 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: