Archinect
anchor

Career in the Netherlands after KU Leuven?

jotex39455

Hello, everybody!

I was recently accepted for a master's degree in architecture at KU Leuven University in Ghent. I would like to know what are the chances of finding a job after finishing my studies in the Netherlands. I am not a EU resident, but it is important for me to gain a couple of years of experience abroad, and particularly I would like to work in the Netherlands. 

I tried to get into TU Delft this year, but I did not pass. So I had a tiny dilemma, to try again next year (although no one gives guarantees that I will enter) or to accept the offer of the Belgian University this year. In spite of the fact that generally I like the master's program KU Leuven and it has a good world rating, I am interested in how much the architectural education of this university is appreciated by Dutch employers and in general.

Thank you in advance for the answer!

Apr 22, 20 11:45 am
randomised

Belgium architectural education in general is quite good, have worked with some Belgian architects myself as a Dutchman and their approach and work ethic really struck me. Employers usually look for a good portfolio and software skills when hiring recent grads, they wouldn't reject someone purely for having gone to KU Leuven. What would be tricky is the non-EU resident part as this might require sponsoring of visas...unless you speak a language they could really use or are from a country they do work in.

Apr 22, 20 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

You get one year post master to work in the EU, after that you need a visa. Working with a belgian degree in NL is no problem, as long as your portfolio/work is good. Be sure to do some internships before graduating. If you want to work longer, apply to an Academy instead of a University.

Apr 23, 20 4:36 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: