Archinect
anchor

What to do with my summer in the age of COVID

surprise_drug_test

Hi Guys,

I just wrapped up my first year of the M.Arch1 program at SCI-Arc. I came in with a writing background so I am a bit behind the curve in the computer skills and workflow department compared to someone who has already been working in the field for 4+ years.

I also know it is not typical for students to get an internship after their first year of studying architecture, however in the past I have worked in a small office, albeit in a mostly administrative role.

I am looking to use the summer break to stay active in architecture in some capacity, whether that comes with a "title" or not, which I am sure will be exasperated by the COVID-19 crisis.

Anyone in the same boat? Anyone have any advice/tips? What do architects do when they aren't actively working/in school?

Would love to hear what people have to say.

Stay Healthy

Apr 21, 20 2:48 am
Meatball2000

get an indoor hobby ;)

read.

Our life is more than just architecture.

(if you want to get more experience further down your road, you can always take a gap year, it's much better than just work 3 months, from my experience.)

Apr 21, 20 10:46 am  · 
 · 
midlander

start writing. there's going to be more demand for thought than action for the near future. and architects who write well are much rarer than those who know the software. they're also probably smarter.

Apr 21, 20 11:38 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

+1 on the importance of writing.  Keep writing and build your computer skills.  Competition for entry-level architecture jobs might be getting much more intense than it used to be.  Study how to interview and properly follow-up with prospective employers.

Apr 21, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
msparchitect

find work for a construction firm for the summer, even if in admin. While future construction may be stifled, there is so much currently under construction and a general shortage of workers. Once all these sites are back underway, there could be many different roles that you could play for a summer that may help educate you in whatever you want to pursue later. 

Apr 21, 20 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Keep writing? Lol. Who's looking at the writing by a fresh grad at all? 

Start learning Revit already!

Apr 21, 20 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
proto

build a climbing wall

design it...model it...make it all architecty-faceted...

about the time it's done and you realize you don't like indoor climbing, we'll be able to socialize again

Apr 22, 20 12:01 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks for the post,

You've got some good suggestions here. It's still worth a shot to apply for some internships if you feel you have some basic skills to contribute. But, if your computer skills are low, the summer would be a great opportunity to buckle down and really grow in your abilities. Take some online courses from a place like Lynda, Skillshare, or Udemy to get better at the software. Or just do some tutorials and experiment the whole summer. Then you can come back next semester a lot stronger.

You might dig these articles for some more in depth thoughts/perspectives on your question:

Apr 22, 20 5:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: