Archinect
anchor

Help decipher architectural plan

charifelkanawati

Hello,

I am hoping someone could help me understand what the architect intends with regards to the construction of wall M7. Wall M7 is a wall in an extension which is built on new foundation, adjacent to the neighbor's building. The architect specifies using blocks of cement attached to the structure; but he does not specify which structure. Since this wall is abutted against the neighbor's building, the wall needs to be built before the wooden frame of the new extension; unless I understand that wrong.

The wall composition is as follows:

1- Neighbor's building

2- blocks of betonn attached to structure as per building rules of CCQ 2005

3- air gap 1"

4- 2x4 @ 16" with blocking and wind braces

5- the rest is insulation, vapor barrier, furring strips, drywall.

Anyone could help me understand that "attached to structure" bit? What structure?

A cross-section of this wall is not provided.

Thank you!

JR

Apr 18, 20 2:43 pm
randomised

Should be in the building rules of CCQ 2005...

Apr 18, 20 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Can't you call the architect and ask?

Apr 18, 20 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Can't really understand the drawing and don't want to invest the effort, but I assume they mean attaching to the new structure, since I don't know how you could "attach" your building onto a neighboring structure that doesn't belong to you.  If the neighboring building was to be demolished things could get a little-shall we say- complicated.

Apr 18, 20 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

agreed

Apr 20, 20 5:08 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Maybe means the concrete blocks are mostly just as firewall, with the 2x4 wood wall behind being the structure? Attaching through 1" airgap is easy enough, weird specifying though...

Apr 18, 20 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
charifelkanawati

We are definitely not attaching it to the neighbour's structure.

It is purely a firewall. The question is, since it is sandwiched between the neighbour's building and the new wooden structure we will be building, this means it would have to be built first. You build first, and then you build the wooden structure and somehow you attached the cement block wall to the wooden structure? 

Apr 20, 20 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

Ask the architect. They need to clarify this. The drawing you attached is too small with no keynotes or section of the wall in question so no one here can answer this with any degree of certainty.

Apr 20, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

It could be attached to structure the with a steel angle.  

Apr 20, 20 6:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: