Archinect
anchor

Prescriptive IRC structural requirements & contracts

backbay

So at my old firm we used to do those low-budget residential projects that are primarily just floor plans, elevations, maybe framing, and nothing else.  They're nothing special but they make some money if you can turn them around quick.

I no longer work there, but I've always told myself I'd start doing freelance work once I had a license and a good idea of what I'm doing as a gateway to opening my own practice.  For me, I have a house, I want to start a family, and I can't risk quitting my job and starting up full time on my own if it means possibly losing a ton of money.  Easing in from part-time moonlighting feels like the least financially risky way of doing it, and I feel like I've heard a lot of similar stories from other people online.

So that brings me to these easy residential houses (I'm in MA by the way), which aren't that time consuming and don't require much energy past drawing what the client wants and getting a permit set out.

For my entire stint at my old firm, we never cracked open the code book for these jobs.  There was always the assumption that "the contractor will frame that however he wants."  We had houses with large double height spaces, big stairway atriums, etc.

Turns out, none of that is covered in the IRC.  In fact, the IRC (prescriptively) only covers some pretty simple small spans, conservative floor openings, has really low maximum story heights, and doesn't allow double height spaces.  For anything more complex, it pushes you into either the IBC or these American Wood Council codes that are really meant for structural engineers.  To me that means if you do these kinds of spaces, you need a structural engineer (and the job costs thousands of dollars more--defeating the point).  You can always use engineered wood, but then how do you connect them?  These projects don't have specs.

I did some pretty intensive google searches, and it seems like builders get these kinds of projects all the time, and they frequently solve them on their own alongside the building inspector.  There's a lot of "well, the building inspector told me I need to a blocking every 5ft..."  There's definitely some kind of informal system that goes along with this type of house.

So the simple answer I guess is "just don't do these types of projects."  But if I want to start out slow and build a portfolio (good projects are always a full time job), this is what I'm going to get.  So how do you do these kinds of projects responsibly?

My first guess (and this is what I'd like some opinions on) is that I stick a bunch of notes on the drawing that push all of the responsibility onto the contractor.  Notes like "G.C. responsible for structural design in excess of prescriptive requirements of IRC" seem like a good start.  Calling out something like a tall wall and keynoting to that seems pretty straightforward.  Could I add that phrase to the contract, making the contract for conceptual design only?

I'm also on the fence about insurance for this stuff.  I know I should, but if I only get a job or two in the year I might not even break even.

I'd like to hear some input.  There's a lot of thinking out loud in this post, so be nice!

Apr 17, 20 9:05 am
wurdan freo

Just turn in a single 22 x 34 sheet with the words "by others" on it. That should work. Probably charge a couple grand for that... or maybe figure out what the price point needs to be for a "responsible design" and go from there. 

Apr 17, 20 9:58 am  · 
 · 
backbay

De-sassed: "Dont work in that pricepoint" got it. But if you are, is there a way to shift more responsibilities to the GC? That's basically the structure of informal agreement anyway: my role is design intent drawings, and the gc is the one making the real decisions and should be responsible for them.

Apr 17, 20 11:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Minimum wage is probably the best you can expect in this case since all the difficult work is the responsibility of the GC. Honestly, any high-school student can offer design intent in this situation. If you raise the bar, you'll immediately price-yourself out. You'll definitively need some strong legal wording in your contracts because you'll be the first to be run over when the GC messes up.

Apr 17, 20 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
backbay

That's a good point-- it is sort of peanuts. The plus side to doing these kinds of jobs though is it's a low barrier to entry networking opportunity. Sometimes a gc will recommend you to a client, and that's where real
projects come from.

Apr 17, 20 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^good way to look at it.

Apr 17, 20 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You worked on these jobs at your old firm, so I'd hope you got to know at least a few contractors. Call one up, take them out for lunch. Ask all of the questions.

Apr 17, 20 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I'm coming from the commercial side but engineered wood people like Wood Works and Weyerhauser seem super eager to help out and their engineering guides and charts seem suitable for residential use in most jurisdictions. 

I've never had to pay an design-assist fees or anything (I guess when you are speccing $4mil in LVL's, a few hours of free help is nothing) but that could be an option too. 

Apr 17, 20 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: