Archinect
anchor

expanding 1st floor room

lalantha123

Hello All!

** I have attached a handwritten diagram**

I have a room on the first floor (ROOM A, approximately 15x15)
I would like to expand ROOM A with addition of 15x15 room  (ROOM B.)

New room -  (ROOM A + ROOM B) which we will name ROOM C.In the future this room will have a full bath (not planing on the bath right now)

Room C will become master bedroom for my aging mother. This ROOM C will be on the first floor, she will have easy access to the kitchen, dining room, living room, back and front porch, and flower gardens etc. (Currently she sleeps on second floor and I would like to have a room on the main floor for her safety (such as falling down etc.

Although, I am currently disable, I wanted to make sure that my mother would not end up in a nursing home as long as I am capable of overseeing and ensure there are responsible people are taking care of her.

Additionally she would not lose her independence by living at a nursing home.

So following are my questions:

** Room C dose not need to have basement, crawl space etc,  it will have few windows and a door. I would like to keep the cost of Room C as low as possible but built safe and meet all the building codes and safety regulations etc.

(Q1) Is there simple online architect service available for me to get a drawing for expansion of this Room C?

(Q2) Is it general contractor or the architect would be giving me approximate cost it would take to make ROOM C?

I hope I am on the correct forum....

Thank you All!
\-Lalantha

Apr 16, 20 10:25 pm
newbie.Phronesis

Well, should take accurate measurements of all the rooms, or procure the as-built drawings of the building (assuming there haven't been alterations since then...)

Depending on your local provincial building code, you might not need an architect to sign off on drawings, a designer or technologist can easily design it; submit to a local design studio you've heard good things about

And prob the contractor will give cost, get multiple quotes

Apr 16, 20 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think you can afford an architect... nor is one required here.  Just hire the first scumbag contractor you can find and let them do whatever they want.

That sketch could have been drawn by any 5y old using a few broken crayons.

Apr 16, 20 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
lalantha123

lol, yes agree. I am not an architect, so I did the best I could with the drawing. thank you both for your feedbaCK

Apr 17, 20 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: