Archinect
anchor

Combining Architecture and Adventure...

kcam

For as long as I can remember I have wanted to be an architect. However have also had my eyes set on the adventure industry and have fallen in love with everything from mountain climbing to paddle boarding. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of combining the two together?

Although I appreciate big skyscrapers, houses and commercial buildings, my passion with architecture lies with small, unique, quirky spaces. For example, designing huts or converting a giant old oil drum into a small liveable space. I have not yet been to University to study architecture as I am afraid I will be learning to design commercial buildings which I really don't enjoy. Is there any other way to get into this side of the architecture without having to get a degree?? 

Thank you for any help!!

Apr 13, 20 1:38 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 7 Comments

JLC-1

Tiny homes has become a "movement" that can/may fit your needs - watch Living Big In A Tiny House on youtube. no need for academics.

Apr 13, 20 1:44 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
OddArchitect

I'm the same as you kcam.  I live for the outdoors - climbing, backpacking, mountain biking. ect.

I've found the most important thing you can do is to find a firm in an area that allows you access to these types of activities.  These areas will have smaller populations typically and your projects will be smaller as a result. 

You're still going to want a degree from an accredited architectural program.  It will be a lot easier to find work if you're licensed or on your way to it.  It will also allow you more opportunities to work on 'wild' type projects through the National Parks Service, BLM, and state parks organizations.  

Apr 13, 20 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

" I have not yet been to University to study architecture as I am afraid I will be learning to design commercial buildings which I really don't enjoy."

I understand the thought process that lead to this statement but you can stop right there.  Whether your studio projects are affordable housing, museums, healthcare, etc. the level of detail you can realistically achieve in minimal.  You aren't learning how to design a specific typology or use. You're learning broad principles that should serve you in whatever path your career takes.  At least if the school is any good.

As far as "Can I work in architecture without a degree?"  Yes.  Whether you can ever be an "Architect" varies greatly on your location.  This has been discussed ad nauseam.  Search this forum or the internet in general.   Whether you can convince anyone to hire you without experience or education is a completely different conversation.

Apr 13, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

School can actually help in regards to be familiar with industry standard processes and terms, detailing, and learning how to find information (who to ask, books, etc.) to help you design what you want.  It's actually not all about designing a certain typology, but developing your ability to look, understand, question, and produce. 

Apr 13, 20 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Go to school and understand the profession. Become a valued member of a team with skills and assets we can employ and pay. Go work in a community that has architecture firms that do the work you like or at least you think you like. "Be the change" if needed to make it happen. You will be satisfied, sorry but it won't fall in your lap.

I did 25 years ago; my clients are profession skiers and boarders, heli ski operations, spas, climbing gyms, outdoor gear manufacturers, retail shops, outdoor education facilities, non profits etc. 

My staff are all architects and landscape architects but also ex pro bikers, skiers / boarders and general outdoor enthusiasts.  I figured it out and so did they!

So can you.

Apr 14, 20 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

May I ask what part of the country you have your firm whistler?

Apr 15, 20 11:33 am  · 
 · 
kenchiku

I think their name is a hint...

Apr 15, 20 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
OddArchitect

I figured but didn't want to assume.

Apr 15, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Trying to hold on to a job in architecture isn't adventurous enough?

Apr 15, 20 10:05 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

There are a few climbing wall design firms around the world that do some really awesome work. You can also take your design knowledge and apply it to outdoor competitions, from whitewater to snow terrain parks.

Apr 15, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: