Archinect
anchor

COMcheck Mechanical systems

chansen1226

Hi there,

Sorry, another COMcheck question...I am doing a split system for heating and cooling...I have several indoor wall mounted and ceiling cassette units with a heat pump air handler outside...do I need to enter a new "HVAC system" for every wall mounted unit AND every ceiling cassette AND the heat pump?  if you look at the capacity column in this screenshot, the units are given in kBtu/h which I do see on the heat pump specs, but not really on the indoor specs...(they give Btu/h / W instead)....thank you...

Apr 12, 20 2:24 pm
chansen1226

Just thought I would respond to my own question LOL in case someone ever wants to find answers to COMcheck or REScheck questions, they should email the help desk at energycodes.com...they are so great and responsive!

Apr 17, 20 10:03 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

So what's the answer?  I've never done a project without a mech engineer....

Apr 17, 20 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
chansen1226

After much back and forth, and having gained the understanding that COMcheck / REScheck were created in the 90's and are somewhat lacking in options, the "best" option is to enter the heat pump as it's own HVAC System Type as a "Heat pump: Split system" and select single zone system (...this was confusing to me because there's obviously more than one zone....but if you pick multi zone then you are only offered ducted distribution types and I don't have any ducts...) and then you create a separate HVAC System Type for each indoor unit and call it a "VRF Zone Fan Unit"...cooling equipment will automatically populate which kind of irks me but oh well.

RE not using an engineer: I have asked an installer that we like to spec the units based on our plans and that's what I'm working off of.  I feel like engineers are too expensive and they often over engineer and don't know as much as the guys doing the work know.  We shall see!

Apr 17, 20 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Im sure youll be fine, ive also never done a residence

Apr 18, 20 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: