Archinect
anchor

Does architectecture have a future?

Lores

I just finished a bachelor in architecture and this question has been popping up in my head constantly as I decide whether  to pursue a Master in architecture or not. I quite like the course that I  went through and did pretty well in it but I recently find that architecture is seemingly going stale. What I mean is that it's not offering too much advancement in the future, It will became sort of a mundane career as we reach a pinnacle of what architecture is about. New architecture concepts in terms of form and space seems more like an opinion or  just a trend rather than something that could be evolved further. Also,  Im starting to realise how architects are being mistreated. My employer would throw out words like "if you are passionate enough, you would do this better and more willingly" even if my pay is low, Tbh, I felt like this is completely bs. yet I can't refute as I  have to put up my facade on how I'm  really really really passionate in architecture. Is it wrong to think like this at this stage, am I actually not suitable for this career? Should I go back to get a different degree after all, assuming I somehow able to gather the money  for it. If I wanted to take a different path,  now is probably my last chance before I pass my mid twenties. What do you guys think? 

Apr 12, 20 2:06 am

1 Featured Comment

All 13 Comments

Non Sequitur

wow. And that’s why you’re still a student. You have not learned anything. Better start soon or else you’re just wasting money. 

Apr 12, 20 7:55 am  · 
 · 
Arch18

There is no need to be rude. We are all human.. relax, let's treat each other with respect and kindness

Apr 12, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Being accurate is not rude.

Apr 12, 20 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

You can be both ;)

Apr 12, 20 3:39 pm  · 
 · 
square.

Also,  Im starting to realise how architects are being mistreated.

it's funny.. your reaction is only confirming the op's original fears. helpful in a way.

Apr 13, 20 9:12 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

it's not a confirmation. The OP is just another disgruntled "design" student who accepted blindly that architect students are special. We're not and the effort (plus length and cost) of our "education" is unfortunately inversely proportioned to our worth in the real world (until 10-20y exp). Mid twenties and already having mid-life career crisis? fuck that, kids thesedays don't know shit for shit and think buying a degree will get them something other than an expensive piece of paper.

Apr 13, 20 9:22 am  · 
 · 
square.
Non Sequitur

I'm nowhere old enough to get that.

Apr 13, 20 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

That whole notion that you need to love architecture enough to suffer for it is BULLSHIT and is finally becoming less forefronted in our discipline. The truth is, for decades it's been possible to make a good living enjoying what you do as an architect *without* working 100 hour weeks and canceling vacations to show your loyalty to the myth.

I've been at many firms over my life and the majority of them work hours that are reasonable for any field - sometimes there are heavy weeks and you bring work home/stay late, whether you're an architect or a teacher or an insurance salesperson or a mechanic. If architecture in general is fun for you, you will be able to make a life in it as long as you don't let the people telling you that if you're not suffering enough pull you down along with them!

Apr 12, 20 12:43 pm  · 
1  · 
newbie.Phronesis

Thank you, that's fairly great advice overall!

Apr 12, 20 3:42 pm  · 
 · 

What kind of Architecture? Surveillance?

Apr 12, 20 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Witty Banter

Donna's post in on point.  The idea that you need to sacrifice any semblance of a work-life balance for your "passion" as an architect is a con perpetuated by predatory employers and out of touch professors that often have little to no professional experience.  If a firm needs to overwork their staff for low wages it's either poorly managed or the leadership is taking advantage of staff for their own financial benefit.  Either way you don't want to work there.  There are tons of firms of all sizes that value their staff, pay accordingly, and still produce quality work.  If your employer doesn't check these boxes (or whatever it is you're looking for in a career) then start looking for a new employer.

That being said I think you're way off about architecture being stale or not having room to progress.  There are constantly advancements in the way we build and design and there is a ton of room to completely rethink the way we build from an environmental standpoint.  Getting the correct regulation or incentives in place to persuade clients into pursuing alternative routes is the greater challenge.  We've already seen huge shifts in retail from the prevalence of online shopping.  Will the current crisis promote further change?  If employers decide this forced work from home experiment was a success will we see a change in the way offices are considered?  What about housing and transit?  Will climate change continue to influence the way we build if natural disasters become more prevalent?  I'm intentionally being vague but that's just the tip of the iceberg.  There is so much room for innovation beyond the technology we use to build.  I don't see how we could ever stop advancing. 

Apr 13, 20 9:29 am  · 
 · 
Dokuser

^hahaha we can always count on Non Sequitur to speak the truth. Don’t know why but I found that reply to be so funny 

Apr 14, 20 11:46 am  · 
 · 

Hey Lores,

Thanks for the question. There is definitely a future in architecture. But, with any industry you'll find people of varying perspectives. You made a lot of broad statements here that aren't true. Donna addressed one of them. But you say things like architects are mistreated or that it will become a mundane career. This isn't an objective fact across the board. 

Sure, some architects are mistreated and some jobs in architecture may be mundane, but it's not a diagnosis to the whole profession. If I could offer some small advice, it sounds like you may be listening to the wrong people. Find people who will encourage you and guide you in your journey and forget those who moan and complain. You don't want to be like them anyway.

If you love architecture, you should stick with it. Don't change your whole path around just because some people with negative perspectives said you should.

Apr 14, 20 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
Zulqar

I agree with Sean and Donna on their advice and I see the future has a great potential if you look at the big picture of architecture. You may read an article that I wrote on this topic: The Future of The Future Architect. Think positive!

Apr 25, 20 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
Awnyxx

The fact that you are posting that question here means you have already made up your mind. Sounds like you have yet to be battle hardened by the harsh reality of life and are not ready to make a commitment to architecture (or anything else for that matter). Leave the profession and you will know right away if it was the right decision or not. 

On the question of architecture having a future, of course it does - but almost certainly without you... can you handle that? If not, stick around and see what happens. My advice, find something you can tolerate for 8 hours a day - most of the time - and just stick with it. Nothing is ever as rosy as our imagination makes it so learn to find joy in everything you do, otherwise you will be a whiny shit for the rest of your life. 

Best of luck.

Apr 14, 20 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
amd13

What I mean is that it's not offering too much advancement in the future, It will became sort of a mundane career as we reach a pinnacle of what architecture is about.

This is an over-generalisation. I think you need to find out what kind of "advancement" do you want to contribute to, and find a way to do that either through architecture or not. And probably the answer is not treating architecture as architecture sake, but, as you say it, to advance something, or to contribute into something.

And I agree with the comments above: not all jobs in architecture is like how you describe it, and find something you actually enjoy.

Apr 15, 20 3:05 am  · 
 · 
randomised

It will became sort of a mundane [future] as we reach a pinnacle of what [a career] is about.

Apr 15, 20 9:56 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

what else would you do?

Apr 25, 20 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Work for a while. Don't rush. There is a lot more to the world of architecture than buildings and speculating on the future. PS. Donna is right!

Apr 26, 20 1:40 am  · 
 · 
alikatircioglu

Gain extreme computational design skills. At the end of the day, you are software operator who sits front of dual screens 40+ hours a week. Your undergraduate education must be enough for you to understand basics of architecture. Otherwise, you will be discussing the which fabric are you going to use for your curtains and do cutting sample boards.

Apr 26, 20 3:17 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

To quote Lya_lin and agree with "good professionals have the future".  

Unfortunately, the profession is diluted with incompetence, and unprofessional individuals who just bring the value of architecture down. And I am talking from experience, 20+ so years working in various NYC firms, I would say I only came across a handful of professional individuals who knew their stuff, could draw details ,and could design buildings, not just technical savvy but actual beautiful built buildings. The rest were renderers, photoshop gurus, "interior" architects, design strategists, design mangers, Leed professionals, or whatever other acronym out there.  Even came a cross an interiors director on a large reputable firm once who would call door hardware schedules "those graph things". 

The education system needs to change to create better competent architects, who have better building skills, better business skills and better people skills are not so disconnected from building construction and the actual built environment, which is what Architecture is.

State laws also need to change to not hold us Architects to such a high ethical and professional standard, yet allow other professions of the building industry to do as they please. ex. I see design build advertised everywhere these days, mostly GC's who win clients and hire some low fee architect to do their permit drawings, or hire non licensed architects to do test fits and in house drawings, which in turn devalues architecture, devalues services and devalues the profession in general. 

Apr 26, 20 10:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: