Archinect
anchor

Where do I go?

Nextup

With graduation coming up in a month, I need to find a design-job within these next few months in order to stay in the country for OPT. I'm studying my M.Arch on the east coast and had always been planning to go to New York. Unfortunately there is 0 hiring for the foreseeable future and with such a larger number of COVID cases, we will never know if it take's 3 months or 3 years to recover. 

Desperation kicking in, I am considering anything and anywhere (despite having never traveled anywhere outside the north-east), it seems like the west coast (LA & SF) is doing much better, are there any indications life might return to normal soon? If not, what cities and states should I shoot for? 

Sincerely,

A graduate with no clue

Apr 11, 20 11:35 pm
x-jla

normal no.   Probably not for a year at least.  But way better odds in states with less strict stay at home orders and lower cases.  

Apr 12, 20 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lower cases... for now.

Apr 12, 20 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Idk, many western and sw cities seem to be flattering the curve. Low density sprawl is good for something at least. Social distancing is already kind of a thing in some of these places.

Apr 12, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Flattening lol

Apr 12, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Not sure the west coast is any better. I heard that the big G here in LA laid off 90 people recently. As an immigrant on OPT, the only benefit you have is that youd likely be much "cheaper" than many others. 

But you are right, NYC is a total no-go at this point. Apply everywhere and go where you get a job. You can get back to NYC later sometime in your career.

Apr 12, 20 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Nextup

Thanks for input! At this rate, the West (namely Cali and even WA) is on track to open up first. At this stage middle America is incredibly known to me and have 0 connections there but I may have to start looking there eventually...

Apr 12, 20 11:47 pm  · 
 · 

Check out smaller cities where the hotshot graduates refuse to go. If you are good, real good, you'll find something. You will need to convince your employers you are there on purpose and not for the duration. If you are average and only wish to escape the big city, good luck.

Apr 13, 20 8:51 am  · 
 · 
sean121

I hate to say this but this situation is not gonna improve for at least 3 months. So be patient, that is the wisest thing to do right now.

Apr 13, 20 10:08 am  · 
 · 
Nextup

I wish I could wait it out a little bit, with no family here and no governmental support I would be running low quickly. I would have to vacate the country with my belongings if I am not employed & working by August.

Apr 13, 20 3:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: