Archinect
anchor

Post Covid typologies

x-jla

I’m thinking that some classic buildings / programs probably aren’t going to survive the post covid paranoia.   Movie theaters are one I’d bet on.  Especially since they are technologically obsolete and really just exit because of the social component...Any others?  

Apr 10, 20 4:39 pm
SneakyPete

Community pools?

Apr 10, 20 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Post Covid-19 Predictions as they apply to architecture.  

The mass hysteria created by the media will cause long term economic, psychological, and social degradation.  Once the true numbers are revealed, which will almost certainly bring the case fatality rate down to something not as scary...it will be too late....the monkey mind has already been programmed.  The American city will lose its luster as a hub of density, and be seen as a hub of disease...maybe the next big one will hit...bird flu...yikes that has a 90% CFR!  a super volcano!...won’t be able to escape!  The city is not safe.  

The architecture will become more introverted.  Ok with me.  Im a lover and maker of gardens.  A time of much needed introspection will be simultaneously met with a time of paranoia and fear.   The invisible enemy of our psyche potentially infecting our neighbor will shape the architecture of the next decade.  The architecture will be introverted.  A quick change of pace from the community focused architectural desires of recent times.  Work-live-play!  Now is Work-live-stay 6’ away!

But what about the clean sky’s.  I can see the mountains!   I can smell the citrus blossoms!  I hear birds again!  We got a little taste of mother nature’s tit and want more.  A cleaner introverted nature focused domestic focused sprawled out future with no movie theaters or strip clubs VR hangout spots and decentralized industry.   All I ask for is Tiger King season 2!

Apr 11, 20 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

this is a good forum post, but can I see some graphics?

Apr 11, 20 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Apr 11, 20 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Ancient Sheds's comment has been hidden

Dear Beta,

Link is broken.

Use Internet wisely.

- Toodles

Apr 11, 20 6:25 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I have no prediction but I think restaurants, cruise lines, buses and airplanes will continue to get hammered for a long time. Drive through for everything retail is probably in the future. 

Midterm I think offices will take a hit as more people use this experience to negotiate permanent work from home. MOBs will see an uptick as a reactionary response to the pandemic. Healthcare will grow even more. 

Apr 11, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

so as far as typology... more live/work spaces and healthcare... but possibly healthcare that can keep people separated. Think opposite the waiting room.

Apr 11, 20 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Yeah. Smaller more plentiful Hospitals... more like urgent care centers you think? Having these huge centralized hospitals was a big problem for non-covid emergency patients it seeems.

Apr 11, 20 6:50 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

Graphics bruh, graphics.

The fascists here will moderate you.

Apr 11, 20 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Use imagination

Apr 11, 20 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

My generation was already raised in the paranoia of crackheads and kidnappers...we are already pretty neurotic...I damn well know I’m not eating in a restaurant for a longtime.   I tend to believe this Whole thing is really going to create a more introverted architecture and urbanism.   spaces that are worth quarantining in.  It kind of threw a huge BUT PANDEMICS AND DEATH wrench into the pro-density pro-public space movement that has become an almost religious thing in architecture circles.  

Apr 11, 20 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

Bruh, I can't.  I need pics, are these facts, opinions.  Journalist bullshit?  WE need drawings?!?!

We imagine nothing will change come summer/fall.  We will mock the government and for some stupid reason people that want to drain the swamp will be re-elected.  Thank you yellow journalists your propaganda will back-fire as usual.

[remember the journalist is the kid in the back of the classroom not part of the action, and now has decided they have an opinion.  get in the corner dunce, you're a reporter.]

Architects though, cerebral they be, will be like, bruh protect the 2% as opposed to the 1% (usually architect's clients). 

This again, is an not a problem architects can solve or opine on beyond a big idea.  There are real hero's out there, NOT ARCHITECTs.

BUT would love to see some new Typology drawings, have any?

Apr 11, 20 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

It’s not about Architects creating new typologies and solving problems. It’s about a societal paranoia that will inform demand.

Apr 11, 20 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

the “will of the zeitgeist” is going to be less thrilled to live in densely populated areas, ride gross subways, etc. The fear of coodies will persist even after we tame or beat the virus.

Apr 11, 20 7:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: