Archinect
anchor

COMcheck question

chansen1226

Are there any COMcheck experts out there?!  I have a mechanical room in the cellar of a townhouse that will require a combustion air grille so I believe that the room should be designed to be outside the thermal envelope...but I'm unsure of how to categorize the sheetrock wall that divides the mech rm from the rest of the cellar...would that be a "basement wall" or an "exterior wall"?

Apr 6, 20 10:32 am
shellarchitect

do you have a plan or section of the area?

Apr 6, 20 1:09 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Exterior wall.  

Apr 6, 20 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

From you drawing section and in my mind its an interior / or basement wall. Im not seeing how you can ignore the truth that it’s clearly not an exterior wall and if it is an exterior wall, is it assembled as an exterior wall? in my mind its like a unheated attached garage and the louvre is like a window

Apr 7, 20 8:48 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

That's not a section of the OP's project.

Apr 7, 20 9:44 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

If I understand the situation correctly (I'm not sure that I do) it should be an exterior wall, basement walls are below grade.

Apr 7, 20 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Yup.

Apr 7, 20 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
chansen1226

Thanks guys.  I heard from another source it was an exterior wall, too...see attached

Apr 12, 20 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: