Archinect
anchor

I dont have a creative mind can i still be an architect?

xaixaiquizon

Hi im just 17 and still in highschool and i really want to be an architect just the thought of it make my heart skip a beat. And yes im really good in drawings and im a fast learner and all but i think i cant think of a building design i mean is that what architects do? Im really nervous i might take a wrong path but i want this so badlyyy!. After this year i'll be going to collage please help mee should i take architecture??

Mar 28, 20 11:39 am
Non Sequitur

creative and critical  problem solving skills and thinking are a must. Find a university near you and go to their open house and ask students and profs. 

Mar 28, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

also, have that heart condition checked out by a medical expert. 

Mar 28, 20 11:48 am  · 
 · 
Koww

you don't have to be creative if you have pinterest

Mar 28, 20 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Lol, too true

Mar 28, 20 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

even if you are creative you often have to find precedents to sell it to the client

Mar 28, 20 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
newbie.Phronesis

Can also try going into a related area of work, like building science or civil eng (both have better initial pay, working conditions...). 

Maybe do a theoretical design for a real-world site with it's own issues, if you're worried about creativity? Constraints are the mother of invention (creativity). I dunno if it'll help, N.S. 's advice is the best tbh.

Mar 28, 20 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Despite what most posters here say, most architects are not super creative at all. We just like to think that we are. What takes you further in this profession is being methodical, hardworking, and paper pushing rigorously.
Mar 28, 20 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

you're way too existential....so yeah, you're an Architect!

Mar 28, 20 7:57 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

here I'll help you.  watch movie Breakfast Club and get back to us

https://archinect.com/news/art...

Mar 28, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

as one of the few posters here whose job focuses primarily on creative design (i'd say it's maybe 60% of my time overall) i can acknowledge the fear you might have of being adequate at this. it's always a bit scary to wonder if you'll get stuck without good ideas. and sometimes it happens, for a few days.

but it's not at all necessary to do this kind of work. the jobs for less-visually creative architects are numerous and essential: spec writing, business development, project management, detailing, engineering coordination. you'll have no problem finding a suitable job you can excel at if you merely understand the design process and enjoy contributing to the production of buildings.

i think though the fact you are asking this question suggests a genuine concern for creative design and a worry you don't measure up. don't let that hold you back from pursuing it. you'll learn a lot about how to be creative through an architectural education.

Mar 29, 20 5:35 am  · 
 · 
OM..

Funny question!

There's lot of branches even within an architecture firm. You can work as a project manager, or technical architect. Tangent to that you can work for an engineer, contractor, a management office, or even a space planner at a bank. There's plenty of room for everyone.

Yeah... discipline, attention to detail, communication, and dependability are most important. And this comes from you, not necessarily your education.

Mar 29, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Don't sell yourself short; the creative side of your brain most likely hasn't been challenged yet. Take some art appreciation courses, especially about the Impressionists, and then some art courses as electives. The sketching and painting will be extremely valuable. You may develop an aptitude and talent you never knew you had. 

Mar 29, 20 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: