Archinect
anchor

Architect or Computational architect ?

mo95

Hey everyone !!

Are computational architects (computational designers, facade engineers, building technologists) highly required in the international market (especially Europe)? Do they get higher salary than normal architecture designers ?

Mar 16, 20 11:50 am

2 Featured Comments

All 7 Comments

Non Sequitur

I think you just made up a titled to glorify 3D visualizer/modeling staff.

Mar 16, 20 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
rsrs

No he didn't. That's just your shallow understanding of it. How about you just comment on stuff you know something about, rather than pollute the forum with igornant snark?

Mar 16, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
monosierra

Computational designers are real positions, highly specialized and increasingly common in large offices. They focus mostly on parametric modeling, advanced BIM, and optimizing work flow for fabrication - sometimes programming too in order to create new tools in Grasshopper , Dynamo or other in-house software. More and more are proficient in coding beyond visual programming. BIG, SHoP, UN Studio, ZHA, NBBJ, Arup are just some of the big firms that have such dedicated positions - think firms that do intricate facade work especially. WeWork used to employ a lot too in their effort to automate workflow. Pay-wise, I think most of these professionals already have a few years of experience under their belt - or possess specialized degrees. Therefore, "beginner" salary tends to be higher than other entry-level positions. 

Mar 16, 20 12:59 pm  · 
2  · 
leonizer

seems like glorified slavery to me 

Mar 16, 20 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Any job is if you don't advance in your chosen field.

Mar 16, 20 5:22 pm  · 
1  · 
rsrs

Computation is an emerging field. Great programmes at the Barltett, TU Delft and Stuttgart.

Mar 16, 20 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Do you want to design buildings, or do you want to design software?

Mar 16, 20 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
Nonononotme

software that designs buildings ^^

Mar 16, 20 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
zonker

I'ts an emerging field - we have monthly meetings and you can attend remotely to see what is going on

https://sfcdi.org/

Mar 16, 20 8:56 pm  · 
1  · 
zoey

Wow, thanks! Didn't know about this field.

Mar 23, 20 8:25 am  · 
 · 
frostfrog

Spare in mind that laypeople doesnt know the difference between parametric and computation.

Mar 23, 20 1:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: