Archinect
anchor

Code Question for NYC Architects (restaurant only serving food)

Jacq Arch

Designing a restaurant that will only prepare and sale food. There is a commercial kitchen stove. The code official insist on calling it a F-1 "food processing use". I don't agree with their definition of "food processing". I would categorize it an "A-2" or "B" similar to what's stated in the IBC.

The NYC building code does not have a clear definition of the term "food processing". 

I would appreciate any help from NYC architects or other experts that is familiar with restaurant. (You should be home anyway) 

Mar 16, 20 11:21 am
gibbost

I am not familiar with NYC codes, but 2012 IBC changed the language at 303.3 & 306.2 to better clarify the distinction between commercial restaurant kitchens and spaces used for cooking that do not have associated dining rooms.  I have used this distinction in the past for commissary and test kitchens that do not support any seated [dining] patrons. Separation requirements (508.4) for occupancy are less stringent for F-1 facilities (compared to Assembly).

Mar 16, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: