Archinect
anchor

Lighting A Room With No Natural Light In An Historic Place

bgreen_uk

This is a UK question relating to a Grade II listed building where a large meeting room nearly 100 years old is being refurbished. Originally the room had a large skylight of square glazed panels in a 7 x 7 wooden grid. The ground floor room was over-built many years ago and has no natural light and light-pipes are probably not an option.

Because it's Listed, the wooden frame for the skylight the the 23 remaining glass elements are to be retained. An architect has proposed infilling the 49 grid elements with black perspex!

I like the idea of infilling the panels with laser-cut custom sized diffused edge-lit edge LED panels rather than hanging lights the architect has proposed around the perimeter of the skylight. Such panels are easily obtained but colour temperature is my concern.

My question: can such panels be obtained that provide light that would look like a slightly blue sky i.e. something like the original architect would have envisaged?

I have 300mm x 300mm what claims to be a 7000K panel here - it cost £13 ($16) - to get an idea but it seems very white to me. Any proposed panels would have to be thin as they have to sit in the wooded frame and even on top of the few remaining glazed units. I doubt the heritage consultant, who has statutory powers in the UK, would allow the remaining to be removed and stored.

Thanks!  

Mar 12, 20 11:24 am
Non Sequitur

Ask your architect for options.  That's what you're (allegedly) paying them to do but for what it's worth, false daylight fixtures are just dumb.  

Mar 12, 20 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

Never heard of 'false day lighting' fixtures. Are they as yucky as they sound?

Mar 13, 20 10:49 am  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

Yea, I see them a lot in chintzy restaurants buried in huge Manhattan blocks. Gives an initial impression that the space is "open" but that impression falls away right quick after minimum inspection.

Mar 13, 20 10:56 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

How about flat oled panels with color changing capabilities?

Mar 13, 20 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
twomartinis

Not sure if this is available in the UK, but check out LightGlass:

https://lightglasslighting.com

Mar 13, 20 9:33 pm  · 
 · 

Offices and workplaces often do not guarantee successful distribution of natural daylight in many situations so to maximise natural light, you could consider a daylight simulation solution, this are usually bespoke creation by lighting Engineers for projects and consist of "sunlike" characteristics using specific colour temperature mixed LED boards, usually with a control system to raise or lower lighting levels and mix the warmth and blue so simulating a natural daylight experience. These are are expensive solutions but a great way to improve workplace satisfaction and improve productivity levels where teams complain abut difficult environments.

Oct 27, 20 6:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: