Archinect
anchor

Egress Stairs Have to be on exterior Walls?

doronzarur

Hello everyone,

Do I have to provide egress stairway on exterior wall?

I have a 10 floor office building and the concept is to center all everything to the center(elevators and stairs), Do i need to provide an exit out from my egress stairs?

Thank you

Mar 5, 20 9:13 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 8 Comments

b3tadine[sutures]

yes 

Mar 5, 20 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i assume you're a student and not an architect who has never designed a building before but now has to figure it out in a hurry.

no, the egress stairs can be located within the building and connect through a corridor. or sometimes passing through a lobby depending on the local code. look up the plans of nearly any high rise office tower.

this is a very normal situation in office buildings. check what similar buildings in the same city do if you aren't going to figure out what the code requires.

Mar 5, 20 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Get a copy of the code and look up the definitions for “exit access,” “exit,” and “exit discharge.” Note that the definition of “exit” includes many different types of elements that can be an “exit.” 

Good luck with your assignment. 

Mar 6, 20 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

You will need 2 separate stairs for egress that are a good distance apart.  So if you have on in a center core you will need another one in case there is a fire in the center.  In my jurisdiction we have to place our stairs at least 9m apart.

Mar 6, 20 11:10 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

In my jurisdiction (Canada) if you have a 10 floor office building you need 2 exits. They can be centered,one terminate at the lobby level and occupants can exit through lobby, the other needs to connected to fire corridor leading to exterior. 

Mar 6, 20 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

So just 1 if it's 9 story office building? LOL

Mar 6, 20 4:05 pm  · 
 · 
leonizer

who knows , he asked for 10, that was a freebie if he wants 9 he needs to pay me.

Mar 6, 20 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Laugh out loud.

Mar 6, 20 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
leonizer

Loud out laugh.

Mar 6, 20 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

laughs quietly to myself

Mar 6, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wait, where in Canada is it permitted to only have one means of egress in a multi story building? That’s not how it works over here (Ontario).

Mar 7, 20 9:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We use large snow piles instead. You just jump out the window.

Mar 7, 20 9:38 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

@NS Read my original post i said you need 2 exits.

Mar 7, 20 10:18 am  · 
 · 
tduds

Do i need to provide an exit out from my egress stairs?

Yes I'd recommend not trapping people at the bottom of an exit-less stair.

Mar 6, 20 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

But what if all the windows on the 10th floor are egress windows?

Mar 6, 20 5:42 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Than I suggest a parachute

Mar 6, 20 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

As we used to say in studio about exiting problems: if the project is nice enough, you won't mind burning alive inside.

Mar 6, 20 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment
citizen

An egret stare probably should be at the exterior, yes.

ba dum bum.  I'm here all week.

Mar 6, 20 12:47 pm  · 
 · 
revolutionary poet

Mar 6, 20 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: