R.Balkins

Mar 2, 20 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

I hope Lacaton Vassal does!

Mar 2, 20 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

WHO WILL REIGN SUPREME?! WHO WILL BE SNUBBED?! AWARDS WILL BE GIVEN, PRIDE WILL BE WOUNDED, ARGUMENTS WILL BE HAD! ALL AT THE 2020 RECTAL SNIFFING AWARDS.

Mar 2, 20 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
threeohdoor

The award will most likely go to someone who has criminally underpaid or is currently criminally underpaying their staff.

And the AIA will rush to embrace this creative "genius".

Mar 2, 20 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Also hope it gets awarded to a practice for once.

Mar 2, 20 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Grafton ...

Mar 3, 20 10:32 am  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Pretty sure these gals were at the top of everyone's list... another strange, politically correct selection... 

Yvonne Farrell (1951) and Shelley McNamara (1952)

https://www.pritzkerprize.com/laureates/2020

Mar 5, 20 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

If they were at the top of everyone's list, why is it a politically correct selection?

Mar 5, 20 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
leonizer

I think he was being sarcastic dude... in actuality everyone probably went "who dat?"

Mar 5, 20 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

"Political correctness" -a label applied after the fact- is not a real thing. Sensitivity to all walks of life is a trait to be commended. Those folks who would prefer to ignore, sweep under the rug, or exploit said trait have invented a bullshit term to try and collect support for the boogeyman they fear will somehow destroy the way of life they cherish, and to hell with anyone who dares get in their way.

Mar 5, 20 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Maybe it's better said like this. The jury went out of their way to select a couple of women, not from the United States who's body of work is competent at best and secondary to the composition of the persons selected themselves. A trend that has emerged from the last several years of Pritzker selections. A trend that, in my opinion, makes the award less about architecture and pretty boring.

Mar 5, 20 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Lot of conjecture looking to be upset there. Maybe try looking for reasons to be happy instead?

Mar 5, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Seems par for the course after the first ~30 or so years when they went out of their way to select a single man, usually from the United States, whose body of work was made possible in many parts by the unrecognized contributions of women. A course-correction is warranted, in my opinion.

Mar 5, 20 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

have you actually looked at their work? it's wonderful. very much in the spirit of Kahn, complex fascinating spaces. they curated the venice bienniale, won a riba gold medal. if you've never heard of them maybe the problem is your sources of architecture media.

Mar 5, 20 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

i'll acknowledge they aren't a big name office - they seem to do excellent work quietly. which is all the more reason to recognize them with an award based on merit. this properly isn't an award for popularity, or even professional influence. it's very much in line with the pritzker mission to recognize an excellent body of work that's not widely known - though again unknown in america isn't the same as unknown.

Mar 5, 20 7:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: