Archinect
anchor

overlapping section of house that has no support

mkim1969

I'm thinking about buying a house that has an overlapping section that does not appear to have support. I've never seen this in a house and am concerned that cracks may form in the wall of the unsupported area. I've uploaded pics. The overlapping section is about 9 x 9. The deck is below the area  and there are wood beams that go from the bottom of the deck to the top. I'm not sure they are meant to be supports for the overlapping area. When architects design something like this, is there extra support added to the floor of the unsupported and area or will the brick add the support needed to keep that area in tact? That area of the house is a bedroom.

Mar 1, 20 10:52 am
Wood Guy

What part do you think is not supported? It looks like there is a wooden corner post carrying the load from above, or possibly a metal post wrapped in wood. If that is not a structural post, there may be cantilevered steel beams within the floor system, but that's unlikely on such a conventional design. If designed and built properly, it shouldn't fail. If not designed or built properly, it could fail. 

This forum is really meant for design professionals to interact, not for those outside of the design world to ask questions. But this was an easy one. 

Mar 1, 20 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

If the house is built and hasn't fallen down, then by definition it is being supported.

Mar 1, 20 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

It appears to me that the skyhooks are doing their job.  

Mar 1, 20 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

That or you can go crazy like Ricky! My head exploded, again!

Mar 2, 20 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^join the club. We're getting matching jackets. They will be waterproof for the hourly exploding head events.

Mar 2, 20 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Maybe lacking in emotional or moral support-- but the structure is there.

Mar 2, 20 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
proto

jfc

Mar 2, 20 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

One photo is enough to guarantee you'll have no issues. You should trust the response on the internet with the most words. This is just how it works.

Mar 2, 20 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

You guys. ;-)

Mar 2, 20 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: