Archinect
anchor

Help with structural beam calculations

connorotoole25

I have been tasked with working out the bending and shear stress of beams and find one suitable for the job at hand,

i have spent the last 2 days on youtube, google and forums trying to get my head round this

so it would be British steel i beam that is 305x102x33 at 9m long

the load is evenly distributed across the beam at 7.5kn

im finding different equations on each website and videos and some calculators want to know the modulus elasticity which i dont fully understand at the moment and are asking for a pascals in some cases

if anyone can explain or help out with the calculation it would be very much appreciated

thanks connor  

Feb 7, 20 4:07 pm

1 Featured Comment

All 9 Comments

Almosthip7

Did you ask your structural engineer?

Feb 7, 20 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

euuuuuh, big fat no.

If you're a student, then you should have paid attention in class.  These are simple formulas and it appears you have a very simple problem.

If you're an employee trying to do this for a real project, then you've definitively undertaken a role which you are not qualified for.  If that is the case, hire a structural p.eng.  They will solve this in 2min.

Bonus comment, a 305deep W section spanning 9m seems pretty skimpy

Feb 7, 20 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Honest question. Did you actually get into these types of formulas in depth during school? I honestly can't remember seriously diving into them at any point. We had a reasonably decent structures theory course, and a few building science courses, but nothing like that. More often we were told to check out the spanning specification (not a very helpful method of teaching).

Feb 7, 20 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes. This was a 6hr/week 1st year core (Mandatory) civil eng class at Carleton. Don’t think they do it now these days at that school, but Waterloo still does.

Feb 7, 20 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

We calculated simple spans in Architectural Technology - I can't speak for your hoity-toity "accredited" architecture schools, though.

Feb 7, 20 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^bench and I share a common school, although several years apart.

Feb 7, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I also learned this in college, and I am taking a advance structures next semester which "will familiarize students with the detailed considerations of structural design, including quantitative load, stress and strain analysis, structural member design and most importantly the requirements set by the codes on design and construction of different types of structures."

Feb 7, 20 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Featured Comment

Here you go.

Feb 7, 20 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

FTW

Feb 7, 20 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That’s hawt!

Feb 7, 20 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
Archlandia
If you can’t karate chop through it you should be good
Feb 7, 20 6:05 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I believe this is a post for our in house structural savant Jawknee. 

Feb 7, 20 6:10 pm  · 
 · 

https://skyciv.com/

5 minutes, done.

Feb 7, 20 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
connorotoole25

Well that's made me look a right numpty 

The structural engineering company want 3500 English pound to work out 4 beams which isn't affordable in my budget hence the "I'm gunna try" 

I'm not educated in the architecture sector but have dealt with stress and strain in engineering before but it's all a bit lost to me at the moment

I'm after advice in the stages of working out the beams, do you start with a beam and calculate back or do you calculate your stresses/strains and match it to a beam, and if anyone would be so kind to tell me where they would start 

And also, why has someone posted a visa application on this thread? Is that normal here?

Thanks Connor 

Feb 8, 20 6:32 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Beam size is almost always determined by deflection. Deflection is determined by load, length, MOI and MOE. If calculating by hand, as I do for most of my jobs, use the deflection formula to determine the required MOI. Then find what beams meet or exceed that MOI. Then check that other constraints are met.

If you don't understand what modulus of elasticity is, there is no way in hell you should be designing an actual structure. Getting it wrong could mean life or death for someone. 

Feb 8, 20 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
connorotoole25

Done it, cheers for the few that helped 

Feb 8, 20 7:11 am  · 
 · 
thbeam

When I need to know the equations (so not just running some kind of FEM software to get the stresses) I use https://beamsolver.com/.  Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Jul 24, 23 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: