Archinect
anchor

2nd Floor Kitchen

wurdan freo

Would you put a kitchen on the second floor of a single family home? Well... would ya!

Feb 6, 20 8:00 pm
Non Sequitur

probably, but only because the ground level is mostly occupied by my vintage VHS collection. 

Feb 6, 20 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Feed me a stray cat.

Feb 6, 20 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sure, why not? 

Feb 6, 20 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

I design and build mostly for spec developers so even though I seek out money guys that appreciate good design, they don't want to stray too far from "the formula." Have a new project site that is just screaming to have the second floor be entertaining space with a view.

Pros - area where you spend most of your time is flooded with daylight. 

- great for entertaining as it is on a highly visible corner

- could help in eliminating food odors from the whole house

Con - carrying groceries up the stairs. 

- residual heat escapes to the atmosphere instead of the second floor

Feb 6, 20 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Anyone who designs a spec house and refuses to consider a second floor kitchen because the future owner might have to *gasp* carry the groceries is someone who needs to rethink things. This, of course, assumes the design is not intended for multi-generational families, humans with disabilities, the elderly, or children. But the idea that spec developers give a second thought to those groups other than to defend their hackneyed cash grab ideas is laughable at best.

Feb 7, 20 11:36 am  · 
 · 
leonizer

What does spec developer mean? Speculative?

Feb 7, 20 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Yup.

Feb 7, 20 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
Chad Miller

They build homes then attempt to sell them.

Feb 12, 20 9:47 am  · 
 · 
midlander

when i was a child, my family spent summers in rented homes along the coast of Maine, and a couple houses had this layout to maximize views from the family spaces. A second floor open kitchen / dining facing to a wrap-around deck. In plan just the basic New England colonial rectangular box with the levels flipped.

You could probably do a bit of searching to find examples that support this idea. These houses were purpose built vacation homes managed by local developers.

Feb 6, 20 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sure. How about a split level? Carry the groceries half a story up. 

Feb 6, 20 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Most of my career has been either building or designing homes along the New England coast, and many of them have been "upside-down" houses--bedrooms on the first floor, living space on the second floor to maximize views. It's not as convenient as conventional arrangements but when you have a million dollar view, you want to be able to appreciate it!

With a good building envelope, including decent air-sealing and insulation, there should be no difference in heat loss. 

Feb 7, 20 8:53 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

put also the dining room and the living room on the same floor. happens a lot when you have mountain views, lower floor for bedrooms, upper for showing.

Feb 7, 20 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

No, no, no. Put the entertaining space on the floor with the best views, of course, but the kitchen goes in the basement, and the help can carry the hot food up the 2 flights of stairs.

Feb 7, 20 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Make Dumbwaiters Great Again

Feb 7, 20 5:53 pm  · 
1  · 
tduds

Have you ever been to a house party? The kitchen *is* the entertaining space.

Feb 10, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Only for the proletariat.

Feb 10, 20 1:31 pm  · 
1  · 
christopherreilly

Why would you assume the front door is on the first floor? It makes a lot of sense to have the kitchen close to the main entry to avoid carrying groceries down a flight of stairs.

Feb 9, 20 8:17 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Why would you assume it's called the first floor? It makes a lot of sense to avoid silly arguments about what relationship it has to the entry door.

Feb 10, 20 11:50 am  · 
 · 
christopherreilly

Good point. Maybe the kitchen has its own entrance on a completely different vertical plane from the rest of the house. Or maybe there's no entrance at all and only a skylight with a ladder. ;-)

Feb 12, 20 8:51 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: