Archinect
anchor

Have anyone here hired a licensed architect for learning purposes??

adamk1992

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you ever tried to hire an architect so they can learn from him/her.

I'm a 28 years old architecture school graduate who never really worked in the field of architecture. I graduated then started working as a drafter for steel fabricators, then last year, I established a steel detailing firm and work has been good. 

At this point of my life, I can't leave my business and peruse another new path (Entry level architect position) unless I want to scarify 70% of my income (which I think would be crazy thing to do).

My goal is that I practice architecture on the side. I want to accumulate enough knowledge to be able to take small projects here and there and then grow organically from there. I think of it as something that could be an additional stream of income along with steel detailing. 

I have been looking to find a part time entry level position that I can fit into my schedule. Unfortunately, it's very very very hard to find part-time jobs, especially for entry level....

That led me to think about hiring a young licensed architect, maybe someone I can meet with after work and maybe Saturdays and help him/her with their work as long as they take the time to train me (and of course, give me those NCARB hours I need to be able to apply for the license test at some point in the  future)

Has anyone done something similar? Is what I'm thinking about is achievable in your opinion?

Any input will be much much appreciated!

Thanks

Feb 4, 20 8:53 am
strangeronhorizon

Hi,

I don't think it works that way, bc most of pro architects think more about advancing future,in my own opinion ofc.

Think it should be you restarting it again,by apprenticeship on a better company under the pro architect that you think will accept you.

Or start from being the apprentice of an individual pro arch...

At least that is what my friend and I try to do.

Anyway im not really experienced,but its just a suggestion.....

Mar 22, 20 3:23 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: