Archinect
anchor

Facade Concept Ideas

My studio section is currently investigating facade types and the idea of "tectonic grain" as defined by being "the constitution of matter that produces organization, such as a pattern, stripe, or checkerboard" as Nader Tehrani says.

Our site is in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland, and the program consists of a mixed use space -- retail, a cafe, coffee shop, office space, gallery, etc. It is an infill site, and our domain is within a 126' long by 35' wide site squeezed in between two old brick/masonry storefront-style buildings on a city block. 

I should mention that one main element of my programmatic design is an "interior street:" a stairway/alleyway that pierces through the building via the street, and leads people to the rooftop. I think of this as kind of an interior version of NYC's vessel: it essentially acts as permeable public space.

I am currently negotiating ideas of facade. The facade should be "inhabitable," meaning that people should be able to interact with the facade from the interior (i.e. sit in it, climb in it, walk through it, etc.) Also, the facade needs to incorporate some sort of "grain" that makes sense with the programmatic elements, and especially within the urban context of the neighborhood. Given that the site is in Cleveland and the surrounding context consists of mostly masonry construction, I want to reference those grains in my design. 

Does anyone have any conceptual ideas for what might make for an interesting facade for a building within this context? I have tried out various patterns and shapes and forms for modular construction -- but does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Jan 31, 20 10:39 am
threeohdoor

NS, I think this is your cup o' tea, no?

Jan 31, 20 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes... although I prefer cop o'coffee. Too busy to snark tho.

Jan 31, 20 11:17 am  · 
 · 
midlander

this is the fun part of the work! savor it now yourself because in the future no one will care if you gave it any thought versus just copied an image off pinterest.

Jan 31, 20 11:05 am  · 
 · 
midlander

also, a purely verbal discussion of a graphical design concept is futile. work in pictures and sketches. post your ideas if you want worthwhile feedback.

Jan 31, 20 11:08 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^ Excellent points, both. 

(When social media and sites like Archinect finally enable quick digital sketching-- not just text entries-- be ready for endless requests to design for others.)

Jan 31, 20 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Do your own homework and research.

Jan 31, 20 11:18 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

cup o' sNAP!

Jan 31, 20 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

There's our NS! (Not at full strength, though... not even any scorch marks.)

Jan 31, 20 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I know, I know... I'm playing interior designer this week and have too many to do to keep up with the snark. T'is a shame tho, the OP has a fun collection of design ideas eventhough they are not unique. Too bad they are lazy and rely on crowd sourcing the most creative part of their project.

Jan 31, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Sedimentary rocks are literally "tectonic grains"

Jan 31, 20 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I prefer large tectonic pebbles.

Jan 31, 20 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I prefer several gin-and-tectonics.

Jan 31, 20 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I'm non-consentually glutton free in servitude to my household matriarchy to whom I am legally bound. Therefore I can not partake of these grains you speak of without risking forfeit of half my belongings.... I refuse to risk my income and belongings to do someone else's homework!

Jan 31, 20 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
veraborges

I love this facade. it s not really what you are talking about cs it s a house but though!

retrieved from villa in Barcelona

Apr 25, 20 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: