Archinect
anchor

rotating building structure

kamel hm

Hello everyone ,

I'm kamel , a 4th year architecture student , and i'm working currently on a project , it's a shopping mall , well i had the idea to make the floors rotating but as soon as i started working on the structure i found a lot of troubles , i think i should go for steel construction but is it possible to do with this kind of structure ? i mean the 1st floor rotate with 10 degrees and the 2nd floor also rotate with 10 degrees ( which mean 20 degrees to the ground floor ) , in tthe third floor the direction of the rotation changes with maintaining the same angle, the building is a rdc+5 so the whole traditional concept of steel or concrete structure is lost , it's really hard  and i need your help , this is my designing concept till now of course  i would love to hear your ideas :D

the building is covered by an externel metal and glass shell

Jan 29, 20 12:37 pm
drums please, Fab?

are the floors rotated but static or do they actually rotate?  you should have it so every time some piece of crap item is sold it makes the floors move.  it would draw people in for the spectacle, then they'd buy stuff to make the floors move, which in turn would draw more people in.  yay for shopping malls!

either way steel is no problem.  the form, however, needs more work.  why is it so dumpy?  you can do anything, go for it!  it's never going to be built so have fun!

Jan 29, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^This. This is a studio project worthy idea.

Jan 29, 20 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
kamel hm

thank you

Jan 29, 20 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Unless the floors are actually moving (great idea Interpol), this is not a difficult structure to design and since you're just a student, any half-ass attempt of showing columns and reasonable floor thickness will be good enough.  

What you should focus on is the reasoning for the shape.  10d turns of identical floor plates is super boring and does not leave much space for a fun design challenge.  Second, shopping centres absolutely hate narrow multi-story buildings. You need large spaces to be financially attractive to tenants and humans will not want to go up 4 stories to buy their shitty jeans.  So instead of focusing on the structure, focus on the intent of the design and make something better than a faceted commercial exploitation blob.

Jan 29, 20 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
kamel hm

thank you

Jan 29, 20 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
Zbig

It seems like a cool concept, but there are huge challenges. There are some buildings where this was done. Turning Torso Building in Malmö is one. Do some research.

The elevators absolutely should not rotate. The core should not rotate.. The structure can rotate and is relatively easy. As the architect, you should not design the structure, but you should make sure that the columns and beams connect from floor to floor.

Jan 29, 20 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
kamel hm

thanks alot

Jan 29, 20 5:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: