Archinect
anchor

Can "famous architect" that have not attended college pass ARE exam?

hoanguyen1

Architects that have never gotten license from boards like Tadao Ando, Mario Botta, ... Do they have any chance to pass exams like ARE, even if they were 10 years old younger at the time they took the exam?

Do you know JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter) published a novel under a different name.
The book, which Rowling released under the pen name of Robert Galbraith,
apparently only sold 1,500 copies in hardback since its release — but
now it's already the top-selling book on Amazon in the US and the UK when people know JK Rowling is the author.

What I want to tell you is, if people evaluate these "famous architect" works without knowing their name, the results would be a surprise.
I think this field (architecture) is somehow like politics if you want to be at elite level. You have to graduate famous school, work with famous starchitects, lobbying, ...

I think licensed architects blindly admire those "famous architect" while their practical skill are the same or even better than those starchitects.

Jan 26, 20 12:50 am
midlander

there is a glaring inconsistency in your argument, which acknowledges the achievement and recognition a few non-accredited architects receive based purely on their work, and then says this is impossible to achieve without the background these architects didn't have...

Jan 26, 20 11:00 am  · 
 · 
midlander

yes i was responding to op

Jan 27, 20 6:19 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

Simply put, it is not in the interest of their time to pass the exam. Thus, the FAIA designation. They operate in the echelons of the design world, capital D, where they are not expected to produce CDs and deal with the everyday work of architects. Rather, they lend their brand and style to projects.

Jan 27, 20 10:02 am  · 
 · 
natematt
^are you saying FAIA is given to non-licensed individuals??
Jan 27, 20 11:37 am  · 
 · 
monosierra

My bad - I meant distinguished foreign architects who never took American exams

Jan 27, 20 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

FAIA is not given to unlicensed people.  There are are FAIA's who are not licensed in the state in which they live and practice - but all are licensed in at least one US state.

"Hon. FAIA" can be awarded to foreign architects who are not licensed in the US, and to non-architects who have made a significant contribution t the field.

There are famous architects who have taken and passed the ARE - some before they became well-known and some after.  There are also those who will never bother.  And for all we know there are some who have tried and failed.  Passing the ARE doesn't seem particularly well correlated, negatively or positively, with fame, nor with ability.  

Jan 27, 20 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Those are two completely different things.
Honorary membership (Hon. AIA) is by a fairly simple nomination form. Honorary Fellowship (Hon. FAIA) goes through much the same rigamarole as for "regular" FAIA. Here's the slate from this past year - some of these people are not architects at all: https://www.aiainternational.org/news-feed/2019/2/27/jury-of-fellows-elevates-3-aia-international-region-members-to-fellowship-and-nine-members-to-honorary-fellowship

Jan 27, 20 2:40 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

You are mistaken.  Again: the honorary FAIA's have not always actually been architects anywhere. If you want to prove this to your own satisfaction you can take the last decade or so of Hon. FAIA's, go through their backgrounds in detail, and you'll find a handful that are people who have made huge contributions to the field, but are not and never have been architects. Some have been academics, public figures, etc. with no specific architecture education, no significant body of built or design work, and no credentials that make them an architect anywhere. I know that the application's "objects" all seem to indicate that the applicant must be an architect - nonetheless people do go through the application process who aren't, and the jury has the ultimate say and has elevated some non-architects.  I would imagine this flexibility will only increase, as in recent years AIA has expressed intent to admit a much more diverse pool of Fellows.

Jan 27, 20 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

If you could be a rich and famous designer without ever taking on the liability of an AOR, why wouldn't you?

Jan 27, 20 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

because by being the AOR, you get to stamp your stamp on w/e the hell you damn well please.

Jan 27, 20 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Gator, I’m sure your insurance provider has something to say about that.

Jan 27, 20 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
atelier nobody

Starchitects get to put their names on "w/e the hell [they] damn please" a hell of a lot more than we plebeian architects ever do, regardless of whether or not they have stamps to go with their names. And I'm pretty confident no state board here in the US is going to try prosecuting Tadao Ando because the press calls him an architect.

Jan 27, 20 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
axonapoplectic

This is the dream. You get paid a lot of money to draw pretty much whatever you want, someone else takes on the liability, and you get to choose if you have your name on it. Add in a cushy tenured academic job and you’re set.

Feb 8, 20 11:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: