Archinect
anchor

Building Design, Permitting, and Construction. UK vs US

rrickels

I have been developing sites across the US for the past 10 years.  Recently took a job that will move me to the UK.  Does anyone have any insight on the major differences to the design, permitting, construction, and inspection process in the UK vs the US?  Is one considered tougher than the other?

Jan 17, 20 4:19 pm
BulgarBlogger

Can you please explain in a few sentences or paragraphs what the difference is between US and UK law?

I was being fecitious above. Impossible to explain in two swntences

Jan 17, 20 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
rrickels

Well I apologize for being unclear.  I'm not asking for a thorough explanation of all things UK and all things US in real estate development.  I'm only asking if there are any professionals here that have worked in their field in both the US and UK perhaps they can share some of the biggest differences they experienced.  I wouldn't expect an electrical engineer to tell me the difference between Planning and Zoning in the US and UK.

So, question to the hive, if you've worked in both US and UK, what are some of the biggest differences you noticed in your respective fields.

Jan 17, 20 9:50 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

My guess is the biggest difference is the UK would be in metric. 

Jan 19, 20 11:04 am  · 
 · 
( o Y o )

payoffs are in pounds instead of dollars

Jan 19, 20 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
White_Snowman

When you say that one is more performance focused vs prescriptive do you mean that one code would say “x must withstand z”and the other is written as “x must be y (in order to withstand z)”?

If so I wonder how much of an affect that would have on two people designing the same building in different codes. 

Jan 19, 20 9:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Codes are not design guidelines... they are, for most things, the bare minimum required. A well designed building should not be affected by minute changes in building codes.

Jan 19, 20 10:18 pm  · 
1  · 
White_Snowman

That’s quite the lesson, real interesting. I’m just now trying to seriously get into architecture so stuff like this is what I’m really looking for. Thanks!

Jan 20, 20 5:38 am  · 
 · 
archinine
I’ve heard BIM models are a requirement for permitting in some places in UK
Mar 19, 21 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: