Archinect
anchor

Is it worth it, and where to start?

LMTE11

I am looking at retiring from my current profession in the next 7-8 years, I will be 55. I've always wanted to become an architect and am considering going back to school to obtain a Bachelors in architecture. I do have a Master's degree, however, it is not related to this field at all. Is this a viable option? If I pursued this education, is this something I could do part-time or online? What amount of time would I be looking at as an intern? I'm sure I will have lot's of other questions, but, thought I would start reaching out for advice. 

Also, any recommendations for schools in San Diego?

Thanks!

Jan 12, 20 5:03 pm
Non Sequitur

this sounds like a terrible idea. 

Jan 12, 20 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

at 55 don’t bother. It’s a fucked up professional and wouldn’t wish this career to my worst enemy. 

Jan 12, 20 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

What's your motivation? 

Working on exciting and important projects? Being in a creative profession? Just getting to carry around a roll of drawings?

Jan 12, 20 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

If you are thinking of going to New School of Architecture in SD? 

back in 04' - 07' , you could graduate from there and do well enough, that was the start of BIM in firms and then, you could easily work your way in.

Now?, it's all BIM, Building information modeling, Revit and this is what you must be very proficient at, this I kid you not. Unless NSAD has the necessary coursework to get you up to speed, you will be DOA. The whipsmart kids will run circles around you and if you don't mind taking direction from someone that's only 25.  Most arch firms make you take proficiency exams. In fact the firm I've been at for 1 year is having all of us taking HOK type Revit test. If we fail, we get the boot.

Long hours in the office, you must be physically fit. 

that being said, do it,- retirement? you don't want to do that, hanging out at Shelter island talking about your "glory days"

Jan 12, 20 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Proficiency tests? Are you fucking serious? That's the kind of toxic shit that makes our profession so miserable, for so many. I would never subject myself or my employees to that, for so many obvious reasons. Gross.

Jan 12, 20 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: