Archinect
anchor

Major in Interior Design or Architecture?

nixmalcolm

The only things I've ever enjoyed doing was learning about real estate and design. Currently, I am on track to receive a degree in Interior Design and can't help but wonder if I should switch to Architecture? I am aware they are not the same. I've heard in order to be successful in Architecture, you need a Masters. Now, I am considering getting my real estate license as well. I am having major anxiety because I am 23 years old and feel terribly behind. Anyone up to give me some clarity? How has your experience been in either fields? 

Jan 3, 20 6:40 pm
Archlandia

You don't need a masters degree to work in the field of architecture. You don't even need a masters to be an architect, just depends where you want to get licensed. But people with greater credentials will almost always get more opportunity than those who don't. 23 is still young. Do what motivates you is my recommendation, whatever you're passionate about is where you will be able to put hours in at work and not loath it every minute, and will be more likely for you to eventually be "successful", whatever that means to you. Also remember that Architects design interiors all the time. The interiors section of our office ultimately follows our direction. I'm tired right now, so hope this makes sense and helps. What is your end goal?

Jan 4, 20 1:06 am  · 
 · 
jcadg

I know I'll probably get slammed for saying this, but interior designers are a dime a dozen. So many end up working in furniture stores and don't really have a good idea of what they are talking about. Having a degree in architecture is far more valuable long-term and allows you to not only design the structures but also have a hand in the interior design. So, it's the best of both worlds and I highly recommend switching over. Good luck!

Jan 6, 20 4:06 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: