Archinect
anchor

Curious about the acceptance rate of M.Arch...

juju1992

From what I have heard, supposedly the top tier architecture graudate programs ( the ivies, for example) all have a low acceptance rate, which has been around 10-15% or even less. Now, that makes sense to me for undergrad, since a huge number of prospective students of differing caliber would apply from all over. For M.Arch, though, I feel like most applicants are more or less talented individuals who have aspirations and who have a decent/sound knowledge of the discipline (at least judging from those I have gotten to meet/know). Many with great work experiences too. My question then is, is it really THAT difficult to get into to these schools? Is it that competitive that only 1 out of 10 master applicants would be accepted to M.Arch?

I know I shouldn't take the number too seriously, but just a fun yet stressful thing to think about...

Dec 24, 19 3:20 am
midlander

i have no useful information. but my observations from seeing grad school applicants posting inarticulate or inane requests for advice on these forums is that there's a surplus of low quality candidates floating around.

Dec 24, 19 9:06 am  · 
 · 
archi_dude

From a high school teacher of mine. 

In High School you are put with the entire range of the population. Your competition is against many average people and standing out academically isnt that difficult.

In undergrad you are now placed with all those people who got A's in high school. Standing out is a little more difficult and excelling isnt as easy.

In your masters, you are now in a pool of those that excelled in their undergrad. Standing out is even harder. And until now since our society is so obsessed with making everyone feel special you pretty much just have to show up to succeed. And now..  

The real world. You are now competing against that tiny pool that excelled in their masters for those dream jobs. They only need one person but got 100 applications.

Dec 24, 19 10:02 am  · 
 · 
juju1992

cruel but true.

Dec 24, 19 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: