Archinect
anchor

Context

x-jla

Contemporary architectures  problem is that they have context all wrong.  Too Short sighted.   The universe is mad.  

Dec 18, 19 9:37 pm
Non Sequitur

examples?

Dec 18, 19 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

if the universe is mad, I don't see why you think context is the problem.  I mean, the universe is mad.  should be looking there, right?

Dec 18, 19 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Universe = nature, whatever you want to call it. 

Mad as in= at odds with

Shortsighted= no thinking beyond the immediate context in time and space...

Point being, need to re-evaluate the term context.  

Dec 19, 19 1:57 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

We can go waaaay back and we had a sort of opposite thing going on. The architecture was very far sighted...It’s context was the supernatural metaphysical world or gods and religious

Dec 19, 19 1:59 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Mythology....or even in some cultures cosmology...since very early modernism or even maybe industrial revolution times we’ve zoomed in the idea of context to very immediate and practical parameters...my prediction is that is not enough anymore...

Dec 19, 19 2:03 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

my prediction is that sustainability will become something more than a spreadsheet LEED cert. it will become less about achieving sustainability and more about celebrating the idea of connectedness with natural world. It will become more about expressing the ideal and less about saving the world. Architecture as a sort of form of communication, like it once was, and less about being a machine for living in. My 2 cents.

Dec 19, 19 2:09 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Interesting ideas, but I'm having trouble seeing how you can "celebrate the idea of connectedness" without also being sustainable from a technical front. Otherwise you're trampling the idea of connectedness.

Dec 19, 19 10:18 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

You would have to be functionally sustainable, but in an outwardly expressive way. I’m thinking a sort of mash up between Pompidou-esqu celebration of function and sustainability ..

Dec 19, 19 10:34 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Religion is losing popularity...the need for belief systems is still wired in us however. The obvious example is politics recently taking on an almost tribal and religious role...I’m basically saying that architecture imo should and will eventually become a sort of secular cathedral to nature, cosmology, bigger and bigger things. Context will become expanded. The adjacent street scape, city, etc will not be the limit of context.

Dec 19, 19 11:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: